theScore, a wholly-owned subsidiary of PENN Entertainment , empowers millions of sports fans through its digital media and sports betting products. Its media app ‘theScore’ is one of the most popular in North America, delivering fans highly personalized live scores, news, stats, and betting information from their favorite teams, leagues, and players. theScore’s sports betting app ‘theScore Bet Sportsbook & Casino’ delivers an immersive and holistic mobile sports betting and iCasino experience. theScore Bet is currently live in the Company’s home province of Ontario. theScore also creates and distributes innovative digital content through its web, social and esports platforms.
My name: Maiwand Nessar
My position: Manager, Technical Recruitment
Company name: Score Media and Gaming Inc.
Company website: https://www.scoremediaandgaming.com/
Company headquarters (country): Canada
Company info and history: About | Score Media and Gaming Inc.
What We Do
Our mission is to become the leader in sports fan experience in every market we enter. We are a remote friendly, globally distributed team with a relentless focus on delivering sports fans the ultimate, personalized mobile experience. Scale is what we do, and you need to think big. Billions of push notifications per month, handling hundreds of millions of API calls per day, delivering data in real time to millions of fans. The work you do will contribute to how we scale at theScore. Our product development lifecycle is collaborative by design. Everyone brings unique points of view and you have the opportunity to be an owner; to help shape and define what you build.
How We Do It
We cultivate an environment where you can master your craft and grow. Opportunities to experiment, innovate and elevate the state of the art at theScore. We run a distributed Elixir stack spanning hybrid multi-cloud infrastructure that supports millions of clients. Our backend stack runs on Elixir/Phoenix, Ruby/Rails, Kotlin, GraphQL, gPRC, Kafka, Postgres and Kubernetes. Our frontend and mobile teams use the latest technologies: Swift, Kotlin, and React, to build fully native, modern mobile and web apps.
Job title: Engineering Manager, Back Office
About the Role & Team
The Back Office team is a group of kind and talented individuals that are passionate about their ownership of the Back Office service. The Back Office service is the main and business-critical admin for theScore Bet which ties together various backend services across theScore Bet’s vertically-integrated stack to provide numerous users the means to perform their day-to-day tasks. The Back Office team develops the service against thorough product specs and clean UI designs, using relevant and bleeding edge technologies. As the team’s Engineering Manager, you will take a lead role in the team’s future successes.
About the Work
- Mentor, support, and otherwise lead the team’s engineers.
- Collaborate closely with the Technical Product Manager on the team to build the roadmap, flesh out requirements, and ensure the team executes.
- Develop, document, and refine the team’s processes (from SLDC to team building).
- Set the gold standard for service ownership by encouraging continuous improvements to development QoL and efficiency, while also defining and monitoring the Back Office service’s KPIs.
- Interface with the various feature teams that will be contributing to the Back Office service to ensure contributions are effortless (e.g. provide clarity, remove roadblocks).
- Other duties as required.
- Known as being a kind person, who would prioritize the team’s outcomes over your own ego.
- Able to quickly ramp up on technologies new to you (e.g. Phoenix LiveView, kafka, gRPC).
- Motivate the people around you, pushing them to achieve more than expected through execution excellence
- Previously held a formal EM title, or otherwise have managed engineers.
- Passionate about clean code architecture and software craftsmanship.
- A drive for finding simple solutions to complex problems.
What We Offer
- Competitive compensation package.
- Comprehensive Benefits package.
- Fun, relaxed work environment.
- Education and conference reimbursements.
Position on remote work: Hybrid within Toronto or Remote within Canada ONLY
About the interview process
4 Steps Interview Process:
- Spot Check: a 30-minute exploratory chat with a Technical Recruiter
- Know Your Candidate (KYC): a 60-minute in-depth Q&A with prospective hiring manager/s to determine team fit among other things. The interviewers will engage in an open-ended conversation to learn about you, your projects, your current environment, challenges and so on.
- Briefcase: 2 hours interview, which consists of a 60-minute coding and another 60-minute System Design whiteboard session.
- Ops Excellence: 60-minute interview with a Director or VP of Engineering and another Engineering Manager. The goal is to understand your methodology around building and running systems and teams.
Please, apply via our career website here: Job Application | Score Media and Gaming Inc.
Feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for any further inquiries.