theScore , a wholly-owned subsidiary of PENN Entertainment , empowers millions of sports fans through its digital media and sports betting products. Its media app ‘theScore’ is one of the most popular in North America, delivering fans highly personalized live scores, news, stats, and betting information from their favorite teams, leagues, and players. theScore’s sports betting app ‘theScore Bet Sportsbook & Casino’ delivers an immersive and holistic mobile sports betting and iCasino experience. theScore Bet is currently live in the Company’s home province of Ontario. theScore also creates and distributes innovative digital content through its web, social and esports platforms.
My name: Maiwand Nessar
My position: Sr. Manager, Technical Recruitment
Company name: Score Media and Gaming Inc.
Company website: https://www.scoremediaandgaming.com/
Company headquarters (country): Canada
Company info and history: About | Score Media and Gaming Inc.
What We Do
Our mission is to become the leader in sports fan experience in every market we enter. We are a remote friendly, globally distributed team with a relentless focus on delivering sports fans the ultimate, personalized mobile experience. Scale is what we do, and you need to think big. Billions of push notifications per month, handling hundreds of millions of API calls per day, delivering data in real time to millions of fans. The work you do will contribute to how we scale at theScore. Our product development lifecycle is collaborative by design. Everyone brings unique points of view and you have the opportunity to be an owner; to help shape and define what you build.
How We Do It
We cultivate an environment where you can master your craft and grow. Opportunities to experiment, innovate and elevate the state of the art at theScore. We run a distributed Elixir stack spanning hybrid multi-cloud infrastructure that supports millions of clients. Our backend stack runs on Elixir/Phoenix, Ruby/Rails, Kotlin, GraphQL, gPRC, Kafka, Postgres and Kubernetes. Our frontend and mobile teams use the latest technologies: Swift, Kotlin, and React, to build fully native, modern mobile and web apps.
Job title: Engineering Manager
About the Role & Team
As part of the theScore team, you will be working with a team of smart, friendly, and dedicated Engineers, Product Managers and Designers determined to deliver some of the best apps the market has to offer. We want you to be challenged and to get the full experience of what it’s like to work at theScore!
About the Work
- Manage the day-to-day activities of one or more software development teams, providing goal setting, mentorship, coaching, leadership, guidance and performance management and feedback.
- Collaborate closely with the Technical Product Manager on the team to build the roadmap, flesh out requirements, and ensure the team executes.
- Ensure development deliverables are documented and key decisions are recorded in accordance with the design and development process.
- Help with hiring initiatives across the engineering department.
- Assist in identifying process problems and contribute to the continual enhancement of the design, development processes and system architecture.
- Ensure development follows the development process throughout the development lifecycle.
- Establish success metrics (KPIs and SLAs) and monitor team and system performance.
- Collaborate with the team to meet performance, scalability, and reliability goals.
- Stay current with trends, techniques, technology and other factors impacting the job incorporating as deemed necessary.
- Other duties as required.
- Known as being a kind person, who would prioritize the team’s outcomes over your own ego.
- Able to quickly ramp up on technologies new to you (e.g. Phoenix LiveView, kafka, gRPC).
- Motivate the people around you, pushing them to achieve more than expected through execution excellence
- Previously held a formal EM title, or otherwise have managed engineers.
- Passionate about clean code architecture and software craftsmanship.
- A drive for finding simple solutions to complex problems.
What We Offer
- Ship features that impact millions of users.
- Work on large distributed systems spanning public cloud and on-prem locations.
- Learn how to manage workloads, at scale, running on Kubernetes
- Competitive compensation and comprehensive Benefits package.
- Education and conference reimbursement.
Position on remote work: Hybrid within Toronto or Remote within Canada ONLY
About the interview process
4 Steps Interview Process:
- Spot Check: a 30-minute exploratory chat with a Technical Recruiter
- Know Your Candidate (KYC): a 60-minute in-depth Q&A with prospective hiring manager/s to determine team fit among other things. The interviewers will engage in an open-ended conversation to learn about you, your projects, your current environment, challenges and so on.
- Briefcase: 2 hours interview, which consists of a 60-minute coding and another 60-minute System Design whiteboard session.
- Ops Excellence: 60-minute interview with a Director or VP of Engineering and another Engineering Manager. The goal is to understand your methodology around building and running systems and teams.
Please, apply via our career website here: Job Application | Score Media and Gaming Inc.
Feel free to reach out to email@example.com for any further inquiries.