mackeyja92

mackeyja92

There is sometimes cases where you want to map every nth item starting on the nth item. Eg map every 2nd item starting on the 2nd one. Currently the map_every/3 always gives back the first item in the enumerable and then every nth item. I propose to add an optional parameter to the function for the offset for the first item. Another option would be to add a parameter to start on the nth item instead but that’s probably less flexible than the offset. What’s your thoughts? Is there another way to do this with the existing APIs?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

@mackeyja92 I’d probably use Enum.drop.
eg: “Map every 4th thing starting on the 2nd thing”

list |> Enum.drop(2) |> Enum.map_every(4, fun)
mackeyja92

mackeyja92 OP

The problem with drop is it removes the items from the list. If you only need to do a certain operation on nth items but need to do another operation on the whole list after you’re stuck with removing items and storing in a temporary list and then pushing them back on the front after the map_every.

A real world example is the Luhn checksum.

# Reverse them first                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
numbers = Enum.reverse(numbers)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
# Pop the first one off because elixir always does the first one when using map_every                                                                                                                                                                                                       
{first, numbers} = List.pop_at(numbers, 0)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
numbers                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
|> Enum.map_every(2, fn num ->                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
  num = num * 2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
  # If the number after doubling is greater than 9 then subtract 9                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
  if num > 9 do                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
    num - 9                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
  else                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
    num                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
  end                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
end)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
# Put the first one back                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
|> List.insert_at(0, first)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
# Sum them all                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
|> Enum.sum()                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
# If the modulo of 10 is 0 then it is a valid checksum                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      
|> Kernel.rem(10)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
|> Kernel.==(0)   
tomekowal

tomekowal

I believe that is a perfectly fine solution. If you need to perform different operations on even and odd elements you could also try chunking the list.

E.g.

[1,2,3,4,5,6]
|> Enum.chunk_every(2)
# [[1,2], [3,4], [5,6]]
|> Enum.map(fn [first, second] -> [first*2, second*3] end)
|> List.flatten
# [2, 6, 6, 12, 10, 18]

That doubles every odd element and triples every even one.

gregvaughn

gregvaughn

I had fun turning the Luhn checksum into a simple Elixir pipeline a couple of years ago. The algorithm as stated is of a very imperative/mutable mindset, but you can do it with immutable pipelines.

https://github.com/gvaughn/elixir_kata/blob/master/luhn/luhn.exs

davydog187

davydog187

If you want to get “fancy”, then you could simply use Enum.with_index and Enum.map. Bonus points if you use the Stream module

[1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]
|> Enum.with_index()
|> Enum.map(fn {num, index} ->
  cond do
    index < 4 -> num
    rem(num, 2) == 0 -> num * 2
    true -> num * 3
  end
end)

[1, 2, 3, 4, 15, 12, 21, 16, 27, 20]
shjeon0730

shjeon0730

found a simple solution:
basic concept is, adding a dummy value at the beginning, and choose tail later.

list=[1,2,3,4,5]
Enum.map_every(list, 2, & &1+10)
[11, 2, 13, 4, 15]
[99 | list] |> Enum.map_every(2, & &1+10) |> tl
[1, 12, 3, 14, 5]

for more offset, comprehension would work.

for i <- 1..5 do i end ++ list |> Enum.map_every(7, & &1+10) |> Enum.drop(5)
[1, 2, 13, 4, 5]

if it is just alternate pattern and need to choose offset 0 or 1, it might be useful

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews