silviurosu
I have a situation that I can not figure out yet for some time and it drives me nuts. Either Enum.sort is not working as expected either I am doing it wrong.
I have some rules have a name and depend on each other. Source is the name of the dependency. I am trying to sort them ascending by dependency to be able to use them later to compute some amounts:
rules = [
%{
name: "ambassador1",
source: "ambassadors"
},
%{
name: "zuppler fee",
source: "total"
},
%{
name: "ambassadors",
source: "zuppler fee"
}
]
sorter = fn
sorter = fn
%{name: name1}, %{source: source2} when name1 == source2 -> true
%{source: source1}, %{name: name2} when source1 == name2 -> false
%{name: name1, source: source1}, %{name: name2, source: source2} when name1 == name2 and source1 == source2 -> true
%{name: name1, source: source1}, %{name: name2, source: source2} -> name1 < name2 and source1 < source2
end
_, _ -> false
end
rules |> Enum.sort(sorter) |> IO.inspect()
Result is:
[
%{name: "ambassadors", source: "zuppler fee"},
%{name: "zuppler fee", source: "total"},
%{name: "ambassador1", source: "ambassadors"}
]
when the expected result would be something like:
[
%{name: "zuppler fee", source: "total"},
%{name: "ambassadors", source: "zuppler fee"},
%{name: "ambassador1", source: "ambassadors"}
]
Can somebody give me a hint?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 8- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
hauleth
Function passed to
Enum.sort/2need to provide strict ordering, which mean thatfunc.(a, b) == not func.(b, a) or func.(a, a) == true. This is not a case in your example.LostKobrakai
Also
soucein your map keys vs.sourcein your pattern matches.silviurosu
This is a typo error. But it real code it’s typed ok and still does not work.
silviurosu
I updated my function to handle all comparison cases. I tried to cover all comparison cases that can appear between two elements. It may not be exactly strict ordering but taking whatever two elements it orders them correctly.
Also the docs does not specify too many requirements for this function: Enum — Elixir v1.20.2
I think it complies with this requirement.
stevensonmt
I’m going to suggest it is the order in which you have defined the conditions or the order of items in the list to begin with. The first two conditions/guards (
whenclauses) lead to a situation whereitem 2 > item 3anditem 3 > item 1but the comparison betweenitem 1anditem 2givesitem 1 > item 2based on the last condition/guard clause. This leads to ambiguity that seems to be resolved based on the order of items in the list.You can see this if you alter the order of the original list and apply the same sort. You get a different sorted order.
al2o3cr
Calling
sorterwith%{name: "zuppler fee", source: "total"}and%{name: "ambassador1", source: "ambassadors"}is going to returnfalse, so I don’t thinkEnum.sortwould find the configuration you’re looking for. The position of%{name: "ambassador1", source: "ambassadors"}in the result depends on the existence of%{name: "ambassadors", source: "zuppler fee"}…Consider topological sort + tree traversal algorithms for this one.
silviurosu
Thanks for the tip.
ondrej-tucek
@silviurosu Is this what you want?
Enum.sort_by(rules, &(&1.name), :desc)