Marcus
Hello,
I have taken a look at Enum.sort and it is great to have the option to give the function a module to use the module.compare/2 function. But, wouldn’t it be nice if the module implemented a Comparable protocol?
In this case, Comparable would be a Protocol with just compare/2 as the only function.
What do you think?
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
benwilson512
Hi @marcus there have been some proposals for a comparable protocol before on the mailing list: Redirecting to Google Groups
Qqwy
As for your specific suggestion: An immediate problem is that we might want to compare two different datatypes with one-another. Now the question becomes: which protocol implementation to call?
Passing a module (and using
compareas a “behaviour” function) is more flexible and handles these kinds of situations without problem.al2o3cr
There’s a certain amount of overhead for protocol dispatch. I haven’t measured how much, but there’s certainly more work for the compiler.
Another reason (I suspect) is historical: a lot of data types had a
comparefunction even beforesortsupported this option, so most of the protocol implementations would be trivial:But the subtlest reason is because protocol dispatch isn’t symmetric in its arguments if they aren’t the same type. For instance, if you have the following:
Then sorting a list of mixed
AandBstructs will dispatch calls likeComparable.compare(a, b)andComparable.compare(b, a)- which lead to DIFFERENT functions based on the first argument.