Erlang Blog Posts

Update:

How to use the blogs section

You can post in one of the Official Blog Posts threads (like this one), or, via Devtalk and a new thread will be posted in our #learning-resources:blogs section here for each blog post so long as you have an account with the same primary email address on both forums (if you don’t, it will be cross-posted to our general catch all thread).

Please see this announcement for details: Calling all BEAM Bloggers!

:nerd_face:

We have a number of official-blog-posts-thread /s so let’s add another for Erlang Blog Posts :003:

Please feel free to post any Erlang blog posts you come across that you think may be of interest to the community :023:

2 Likes

I wrote a blog post about my ten years in Erlang, hype phases, adoption, things that changed, and I believe some of the content in there will be relevant to Elixir folks trying to boost adoption: https://ferd.ca/ten-years-of-erlang.html

13 Likes

I’ve been posting the ones on Erlang-Battleground on this thread, lately.
Not sure if I should add them here as well.

2 Likes

Generally it’s best to stick to one thread - either your blog’s dedicated thread, or one of the main ones like this one :023:

(As a side note, I am not completely happy with how we deal with blog posts on the forum atm, so we will be tweaking this at some point - watch this space :003:)

1 Like

Nice post! Heads to the ground; in the spirit of the erlang creators.

Which companies are using Erlang, and why? #MyTopdogStatus by Francesco Cesarini

Erlang was that badly kept secret. Many have heard of it, but few realise that it controls vast amounts of infrastructure, including the fixed and mobile networks we use on a daily basis.

2 Likes

Article:

2 Likes

Hi folks! :wave:

Building Caramel is teaching me a lot about Erlang and OCaml, so I figured I’d share some of these learnings with y’all :slight_smile:

I’ll start with some thoughts on Why Typing Erlang is Hard (and what we can do about it).

Here’s part 1:

10 Likes

Sorry for the off topic question, I did not read the article yet, but I’ve just found about Caramel thanks to your post, I read the github README and I wonder why you chose to compile to .erl instead of compiling directly to .beam.

No problem :slight_smile: I just thought it’d be a good starting point since:

• it is trivial to inspect that the outputs are correct, which makes it easy to see what’s going on, and that’s especially important when learning

• it is less of a hassle to just drop a little .ml into an existing project

Eventually I want to enable Core Erlang outputs, so you still get a shot at picking your compiler, but we can do some optimizations on the generated sources.

Providing .beam outputs would mean reimplementing parts of erlc that I’m not that familiar with yet. But I’m open to the idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

That makes sense, thank you.

1 Like

I have invited Simon Thomson to my class and here is the video of his talk:

Language Processing in Erlang - Simon Thompson