eDev
This guy didn’t get the memo about Erlang!
“As a computer scientist it’s difficult writing software that can take advantage of and control large numbers of computer cores,” said Professor Les Carr from the University of Southampton.
"This is why supercomputers are restricted to specialised applications - you need very specialised computing needs to take advantage of them.
In all seriousness - would BEAM be a good fit for super computers like these?
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
uranther
These supercomputers are working on parallelizable problems, yes, but need raw speed such as for modeling climate change. They might even use specialized languages for the computations. A BEAM language may be good for supervising the process farm but other than that there needs to be mutable data structures and fast matrix computations.
arkgil
At my university there is a supercomputer. My Erlang lecturer told us once, that BEAM was the only technology to make use of all of its cores. But I don’t think there were some advanced computations included, it was rather a show off of concurrency. BEAM may not be best for scientific computations on these machines, but I heard that my peers are going to launch highly distributed version of Conway’s game of life on one of them, using Erlang of course. This should turn out really cool
Qqwy
I really do wonder what would happen if we had a pure dependently typed actor-model functional language. This would enable us to use crazy tricks like process-based memoization, and have the compiler do all kind of weird things for us to make programs faster.
It is completely possible to use mutable data structures in a purely functional language by using a State Monad Transformer (But I have to admit, this is the kind of stuff that Mathematics Professors discuss about with squiggely lines and vague terms – I don’t understand how this works myself either right now).
sashaafm
I think the domain of BEAM and these supercomputers is different. These kind of computer want a lot of parallelization and probably will use specially made languages or very specialized languages like Futhark or CUDA.
bbense
I started out my career working at the San Diego Supercomputer Center on some of the very early multiprocessor supercomputers of the day (i.e. when a 1000 cores was a supercomputer). My interest in concurrency started there and eventually lead me to Erlang and Elixir.
While there are some simulations that could effectively use the BEAM, most supercomputer type problems don’t translate well to the actor model due to the connectivity of the data. For large physical simulations, every data point affects the value of every other data point in the simulation.
The Actor model assumes a network of minimal connections. If every process needs to talk to every other process then communication dominates costs as you scale the problem.
Now on the other hand, almost all of the science of numerical computation is figuring out when it’s “okay” to ignore the connections between data in a problem and partition the problem into smaller solvable problems.
I think the BEAM could work in these environments as scheduler and coordinator, but you’d need a specialized core of mathematical routines that currently doesn’t exist.
pat_rick
This question was raised in June 2016. Would the answers to this question today (October 2023) be different than they were back then?