Erlang OTP-24.0.1 released!

A new Erlang news item has been posted!

Posted via Devtalk.

3 Likes

There’s no ElixirForum announcement forum post to comment on yet but I’ve just installed Erlang 24.0.1 without having to downgrade autoconf or specify any env vars on the command line! :partying_face:

It was just a matter of a simple asdf install erlang 24.0.1

EDIT: Oh, there was a forum post after all, missed it by an hour or so. :smiley:

3 Likes

You missed it Dimi… moved your post to it :003:

3 Likes

Did you have KERL_CONFIGURE_OPTIONS set at all?

I typically use this on macOS:

KERL_CONFIGURE_OPTIONS=--disable-hipe --without-javac --with-ssl=/usr/local/opt/openssl@1.1
KERL_BUILD_DOCS=yes
KERL_DOC_TARGETS=chunks

But asdf install erlang 24.0.1 fails for me with:

checking for OpenSSL header in /usr/local/opt/openssl@1.1... yes
checking for OpenSSL in /usr/local/opt/openssl@1.1... configure: error: neither static nor dynamic crypto library found in /usr/local/opt/openssl@1.1
ERROR: /Users/jason/.asdf/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/builds/asdf_24.0.1/otp_src_24.0.1/lib/crypto/configure failed!

And brew --prefix openssl does give /usr/local/opt/openssl@1.1

1 Like

Nope, zero tinkering this time. Just a normal install command.

1 Like

I just tried asdf install erlang 24.0.1 and am still getting the same error as before:

ERROR: /Users/Macbook/.asdf/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/builds/asdf_24.0.1/otp_src_24.0.1/lib/crypto/configure failed!

(This is on macOS Mojave)

2 Likes

Do someone know what to do with
wxWidgets was not compiled with --enable-webview or wxWebView developer package is not installed, wxWebView will NOT be available
message? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seems to be related to Best option to do desktop apps in Elixir - #32 by dominicletz. It doesn’t look like anything you need to deal with unless you want to build desktop apps with elixir.

Error here too. macOS Mojave 10.14.6

asdf install erlang 24.0.1
asdf_24.0.1 is not a kerl-managed Erlang/OTP installation
No build named asdf_24.0.1
Downloading OTP-24.0.1.tar.gz to /Users/me/.asdf/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/archives...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   122  100   122    0     0   1115      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  1119
100 56.1M  100 56.1M    0     0  10.7M      0  0:00:05  0:00:05 --:--:-- 11.5M
Extracting source code
Building Erlang/OTP 24.0.1 (asdf_24.0.1), please wait...
Configure failed.
checking for compiler flags for loadable drivers... -Werror=undef -Werror=implicit -Werror=return-type  -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes  -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_REENTRANT -DPOSIX_THREADS -fno-common -g -O2 -fPIC -fno-common
checking for linker for loadable drivers... clang
checking for linker flags for loadable drivers... -m64 -bundle -bundle_loader /Users/me/.asdf/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/builds/asdf_24.0.1/otp_src_24.0.1/bin/x86_64-apple-darwin18.7.0/beam.smp
checking for 'runtime library path' linker flag... not found
checking for multiarch directory... not found
checking size of void *... 8
checking for static zlib... no
checking for OpenSSL header in /usr/local/opt/openssl@1.1... yes
checking for OpenSSL in /usr/local/opt/openssl@1.1... configure: error: neither static nor dynamic crypto library found in /usr/local/opt/openssl@1.1
ERROR: /Users/me/.asdf/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/builds/asdf_24.0.1/otp_src_24.0.1/lib/crypto/configure failed!

From the Issue comments on github:

Looks like kerl is still setting DED_* flags for you, as you can still see them in your paste. Since it’s kerl setting these, it’ll need to be fixed by the kerl maintainer, otherwise you’ll have to patch your kerl shell scripts to omit those flags.

and

Until kerl stops passing these DED_* flags you wont be able to build OTP 24 using kerl on MacOS.

1 Like

I am receiving this error.

Extracting source code
Configure failed.
configure: WARNING: Could not find any usable java compiler, will skip: jinterface
checking for c++... c++
checking for log2... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating emulator/aarch64-apple-darwin20.3.0/Makefile
./config.status: line 1224: 33687 Done(141)               eval sed \"\$ac_sed_extra\" "$ac_file_inputs"
     33688 Killed: 9               | $AWK -f "$ac_tmp/subs.awk" > $ac_tmp/out
config.status: error: could not create emulator/aarch64-apple-darwin20.3.0/Makefile
ERROR: /Users/ahmad/.asdf/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/builds/asdf_24.0.1/otp_src_24.0.1/erts/configure failed!
./configure: line 366: kill: (-21681) - No such process

Please see /Users/ahmad/.asdf/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/builds/asdf_24.0.1/otp_build_24.0.1.log for full details.

I am coming from OTP 23

Erlang/OTP 23 [erts-11.1.6] [source] [64-bit] [smp:8:8] [ds:8:8:10] [async-threads:1]

Eshell V11.1.6  (abort with ^G)

never installed OTP v24.0 before

Does anyone know what could cause this?

using Big Sur with M1 chip

1 Like

Slight correction, I only have these kerl-related variables exported before issuing asdf install ...:

export KERL_BUILD_DOCS=yes
export KERL_INSTALL_MANPAGES=yes
export KERL_INSTALL_HTMLDOCS=yes

But nothing outside of that, no.

With autoconf@2.29 I the kerl build works flawlessly on my Mac:

➜  ~  /usr/local/bin/kerl update releases
The available releases are:
➜  ~  kerl build 24.0.1
Downloading OTP-24.0.1.tar.gz to /Users/paul/.kerl/archives...
Building Erlang/OTP 24.0.1 (24.0.1), please wait...
Erlang/OTP 24.0.1 (24.0.1) has been successfully built
➜  ~  kerl install 24.0.1 /usr/local/kerl/24.0.1
Installing Erlang/OTP 24.0.1 (24.0.1) in /usr/local/kerl/24.0.1...

➜  ~  iex
Erlang/OTP 24 [erts-12.0.1] [source] [64-bit] [smp:16:16] [ds:16:16:10] [async-threads:1] [jit]

Interactive Elixir (1.12.0) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)
iex(1)> ...

I’m on macOS 11.3.1 (20E241), Intel.

I followed that advise to get autoconf@2.69:

2 Likes

I was also able to get this installed after installing properly installing wxWidgets 3.1.5 from the source. Please see my post here.

2 Likes

My error seems to not be related to autoconf, kerl or openSSL.

Anyone can give advice on how I can fix this problem?

❯ asdf install erlang 24.0.1
asdf_24.0.1 is not a kerl-managed Erlang/OTP installation
The asdf_24.0.1 build has been deleted
Extracting source code
Configure failed.
configure: WARNING: Could not find any usable java compiler, will skip: jinterface
checking for c++... c++
checking for log2... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating emulator/aarch64-apple-darwin20.5.0/Makefile
./config.status: line 1224: 68375 Done(141)               eval sed \"\$ac_sed_extra\" "$ac_file_inputs"
     68376 Killed: 9               | $AWK -f "$ac_tmp/subs.awk" > $ac_tmp/out
config.status: error: could not create emulator/aarch64-apple-darwin20.5.0/Makefile
ERROR: /Users/ahmad/.asdf/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/builds/asdf_24.0.1/otp_src_24.0.1/erts/configure failed!
./configure: line 366: kill: (-56369) - No such process

I have checked most of the links shared on the OTP 24 issues but still unable to solve this

At this point i am not sure whether this issue is due to my m1 mac or other problem.

currently running

Elixir 1.11.3 (compiled with Erlang/OTP 23)

And I want to upgrade to elixir v1.12 and OTP 24

For anyone struggling to get past the openssl issues on MacOS with ASDF…I’m still running Mojave and none of the above command line switches/options worked for me. I finally followed the ‘workaround’ by Ron Lau here Can't install Erlang-24 due to openssl issues · Issue #371 · kerl/kerl · GitHub and was able to get 24.0.1 to build successfully. (YMMV).

All I had to do was substitute 24.0.1 anywhere his command had 24.0. Went flawlessly.

2 Likes

Alchemist.camp (https://alchemist.camp) posted this video recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7JkhGrjnMY :clap:

He suggests editing kerl and changing “Darwin” to “Darwin-disabled”.

I haven’t tried this yet but I’m wondering what to do afterwards? Should we change it back to “Darwin”?