arkgil

arkgil

Hello everyone!

Erlang Performance Lab is a tool for developers working with the BEAM, which aims to help with analysis of performance and behaviour of their systems.

Our goal is to provide a tool which will allow folks to see and understand what’s happening inside their systems at first few glances. That’s why we focus on visualising system’s behaviour rather than displaying raw debug information, which may be more detailed, but much harder to comprehend. We strive to make EPL useful for experienced developers, as well as people just getting into the BEAM world. Please note that it’s not meant to be a production-ready monitoring solution, but rather a debugging tool used in your day-to-day development.

Currently our three main “views” are:

  • general node info, memory usage and processes count
  • visualisation of applications’ supervision trees
  • visualisation of network traffic between nodes in a cluster, and visualisation of message passing inside a single node

And a little teaser:

Usage

EPL is portable, meaning you only need Erlang installed on your machine. Then download our prebuilt escript and you’re good to go. You can find download link on our website. To see what it’s all about, follow examples in the README.

Contributing

EPL is completely open-source, and we’d very much appreciate any kind of contributions, be it general usability feedback, finding bugs (:blush:), or developing new views and extending existing ones!

We’re announcing it here today, because just 2 hours ago we merged a pull request, which allows development of backend plugins in Elixir!

Resources

If you have any questions regarding EPL, our vision, roadmap, favourite color, don’t hesitate to ask here or post an issue on Github. :slight_smile:

Showing Posts 1 to 10

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Ooo this looks fascinating! Thanks for the post!

arkgil

arkgil OP

I’m glad you like it :slight_smile: Have fun and break it!

AstonJ

AstonJ

Looks great :023:

aseigo

aseigo

I used this in a recent presentation on Elixir to show the clustering features in action … the eye-candy really grabbed people, and I’ll continue to monitor the project as it matures to provide further tools. Thanks to everyone who is working on this!

Another interesting tool in this category that i found (and have also used in presentations :slight_smile: is GitHub - koudelka/visualixir: A process/message visualizer for BEAM nodes.💪👁 · GitHub

arkgil

arkgil OP

Great to hear that you’ve already found it useful!

We’re currently working on polishing existing views. Next on the roadmap are:

  • Drawing flame graphs for the processes
  • Tracking messages received by the process, recording how they affect its state, and drawing it on a “timeline”
jeramyRR

jeramyRR

Is EPL in coordination with Vizceral (Netflix), or is this something separate?

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

From: erlangpl/README.md at master · erlanglab/erlangpl · GitHub

It takes around 1 minute on stock MacBook 2015 plus dependencies download for the first time. Second time dependencies will be cached.

I’m on a not at all low-end desktop (new, ‘high’-end work developer desktop, 4 cores, hyper-threading, 8gigs of ram, not as good as my home desktop but eh) and its been building for over 15 minutes now… The dots just keep spinning and spinning and spinning…

Join me in the forever-spinning… ^.^

But wow, that is a bit of a nasty build time on the front-end, maybe cache it in the github repo instead, or use a language that does not take forever to compile (*cough*elm*cough*)? :slight_smile:

arkgil

arkgil OP

Yes, we’re using Vizceral for cluster and message passing views.

arkgil

arkgil OP

That’s, wow, pretty long. Did you consider downloading our prebuilt escript? Or do you really want to compile it manually?

Actually, we have complete setup for writing frontend code with Elm, so extending EPL with Elm is not a problem.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I was just following the instructions from top-to-bottom on the readme in the “Getting Started” section. It is still on that same screen as the animation, coming up on 30 minutes now (it took a few minutes to grab the animation and sync it). I cloned it into another directory too and tried the same thing, its doing the same thing.

I’m not seeing instructions for curl’ing or mix installing the escript on the README.md, is it listed somewhere else?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews