Erlang The Movie

My name is Tiago. I was expecting Joe to join and talk about how declarative programming languages have several advantages over traditional languages :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

ā€œHello Tiagoā€ :grinning:

5 Likes

Literally ā€œIā€™ll show you the scarsā€ LOL

Thatā€™s probably in progress already - people forget Joeā€™s other career - at weekends he puts on a wig and composes music under the name Carl Jenkins.

9 Likes

That was me! I totally forgot about that, and it popped up recently and I had to actually search for it. Surprised to see it linked on an actual erlang forum.

I know this is probably a dead thread at this point, and I donā€™t remember too much of it, but I had just taken a new job and was reading Joe Armstrongā€™s book, and for some reason this existed on Google Video and Youtube, but both were weirdly edited, and missing either the beginning or the end. A friend and I watched it and thought it was funny, and just wanted to do some basic video editing. I remember pulling it off Google Video somehow and struggling with Windows Movie Maker (i think the first and last time I used that POS)

I guess for some context, at the time some friends and I were working on things that were ā€¦ deliberately confusing. We had all had jobs dealing with translation and proofing technical stuff coming from Japanese and so we would edit together a lot of engrish stuff to be played straight, but not make a lot of sense in the context. So, editing this video of polite professional people hanging up on each other seemed like a natural extension of it. Given that its mostly been reblogged by foreign spam sites, I think that would constitute a success.

The original version in all its glory, of course, shouldnā€™t be missed.

8 Likes

Wait for the third part :smiley:

1 Like

Personally, I think in all its awkwardness this is the best cut of Erlang: The Movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VoOXem0fhc

2 Likes