ShalokShalom
Trending in Talks
This is a thread to organise resources while we wait for official posting of videos. I’ve committed to keeping this post updated, please ...
New
This is the follow-up to my ElixirConf EU talk in Malaga, which was mostly about the local-first problem and where sync engines stand on ...
New
What if you could build production-ready RAG entirely in Elixir? George Guimarães, ElixirConfEU 2026
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNB...
New
Failing to Introduce Elixir - John Darrington
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjAH68yVnh8
Comments welcome! View the <span class="hasht...
New
Rebuilding Workflow Orchestration in Elixir: The Story of Gust - Marcio Klepacz | ElixirConf EU 2026
Comments welcome! Vi...
New
The Everything App - Lars Wikman | ElixirConf EU 2026
Comments welcome! View the <span class="hashtag-icon-placeholder"><...
New
Kafka-Backed Elixir at Scale - Anton Borisov, Piotr Rybarczyk | ElixirConf EU 2026
Comments welcome! View the <span class...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
wanton7
Wow another Erlang VM made with Rust! Other one is here GitHub - archseer/enigma: An Erlang VM implementation in Rust · GitHub
isaac-rstor
Feels like this is a problem:.
A process should be exactly what it is in the normal BEAM, otherwise you’re gonna run into problems.
wanton7
Yeah I see more future for ErlangRT because Enigma VM does shortcuts like that.
benwilson512
This is describing how this VM implements a process, it isn’t saying that the process will be something different from the perspective of an erlang programmer.
NobbZ
Tokia does IO based scheduling AFAIK, so the machine will probably behave differently under CPU bound load than the original BEAM.
Programmers on the BEAM usually rely on the fact, that regardless the load of the system, they will eventuelly get some time slot to do their thing.
benwilson512
So, I’m not disagreeing that the new VM may perform differently than the current one. I’m simply making the sort of ontological point that a Future is not fundamentally a different kind of thing than an erlang process as viewed from the VM. A process in the BEAM is a struct with various properties that runs on a threaded work stealing scheduler. That’s exactly what a Future is too.
NobbZ
Well, but the underlying schedulers work differently. While the BEAM is pre-emptive, Tokios futures are not.
Of course, from a (erlang/elixir/whatever) programmer things won’t change. They just
spawntheir way through, but programms will behave differently under load.Of course there might be interest for the changed behaviour, or perhaps its the price some people are willing to pay for other benefits of this re-implementation, but currently I have not yet seen any benefits…
wanton7
I think it’s just like @NobbZ said and you’ll lose one of the biggest benefits of BEAM. Preemptive scheduling was the biggest reason I got interested in Elixir to create web apps..
benwilson512
Elixir / Erlang is preemptive, but the C code that runs a process’s BEAM byte code is not pre-emptive. Languages built on this byte code are effectively preemptive because the underlying C can choose to yield at frequently occurring points in that byte code. Presumably the Rust code inside the Future could work the same way.
It’s entirely possible that I missed something here and their plan is to have each future churn on bytecode till the bytecode does IO, but there’s nothing about a future that requires that that’s the case any more than the fact that the BEAM is written in C.
michalmuskala
I actually think that the new BEAM implementations should look into exploring other design trade-offs - other memory management schemes, different kinds of schedulers, different data representation, interpreters vs compilers, etc. We already have BEAM working like BEAM, so I don’t see much value in just replicating that exactly, on the other hand exploring new ideas might bring back some valuable insight into the main implementation.