fhunleth

fhunleth

Co-author of Nerves

I was wondering how others handle password-protected private keys with Erlang’s ssh client (:ssh.connect/[3,4]). I’m currently passing the password in the clear with the :rsa_pass_phrase option to :ssh.connect/3. That’s not desirable to say the least.

It would be great if I could somehow use ssh-agent, but that doesn’t look possible with since the ssh_client_key_api API requires you to return decrypted private keys and not forward the negotiation steps. At least from my brief skim of the ssh-agent protocol, it won’t return a decrypted private key. That makes sense, though,

I may end up prompting for the password everytime the key is needed. From a workflow perspective, though, entering in a password is not great so I’m hoping for other options.

Showing Posts 1 to 4

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I usually get it from the environment or so. You have to get the password from ‘somewhere’, so it depends on where you are getting it from.

bbense

bbense

I really wish the ssh library worked with both certs and ssh-agent, it’s kind of useless to me w/o that support. I guess I need to start looking at some code.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Make a library so it can, I bet others would love it too! :slight_smile:

kenny-evitt

kenny-evitt

I just ran into this myself and thought the original participants and anyone (like me) that’s since found this post might be interested to know that there is (now at least) an Erlang ssh_agent module:

Example usage (with the Elixir sshex package):

{:ok, ssh_conn} = SSHEx.connect(ip: ip_address, user: user, key_cb: {:ssh_agent, []})

It seems to work (for me anyways)!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews