pcriv

pcriv

I’m trying to build a Phoenix app using Docker, to later deploy it to dedicated servers

I followed this tutorial but used centos:7 as a base image instead because the dedicated servers are running that distro.

The build process works fine, but when in shell into the container to test the release I get the following:

[root@f02a27a87345 topo_master]# bin/topo_master start
/app/_build/prod/rel/topo_master/releases/1.4.0/../../erts-14.2.1/bin/erl: line 12: /app/_build/prod/rel/topo_master/erts-14.2.1/bin/erlexec: cannot execute binary file
/app/_build/prod/rel/topo_master/releases/1.4.0/../../erts-14.2.1/bin/erl: line 12: /app/_build/prod/rel/topo_master/erts-14.2.1/bin/erlexec: Success

When I cd into /app/_build/prod/rel/topo_master/erts-14.2.1/bin
I get the following error:

[root@f02a27a87345 bin]# erlexec
bash: erlexec: command not found

Any idea what could be going on?
I’m running Docker version 24.0.7, build afdd53b4e3
on a M1 Mac on MacOS 14.1.2 (23B92)

Showing Posts 1 to 10

D4no0

D4no0

If you are building it on your mac, you are most probably building the image for ARM, while your classical server is using x86-64. For cross-compilation I think you need to setup qemu locally.

pcriv

pcriv OP

But I’m creating the release on the same container where I’m trying to run it later, shouldn’t that work?

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Can you post your entire Dockerfile?

D4no0

D4no0

It doesn’t matter where you create the release, it matters what machine creates the release. You are copying the compiled runtime from your system into the container.

pcriv

pcriv OP

FROM centos:7 as build

SHELL ["/bin/bash", "-c"]

ENV LANG=en_US.UTF-8
# ENV HOME=/opt/build
ENV MIX_ENV prod

# Set the right versions
ENV ERLANG_VERSION latest
ENV ELIXIR_VERSION latest

RUN \
  yum update -y && \
  yum install -y epel-release && \
  yum install -y \
  autoconf \
  curl \
  gcc \
  gcc-c++ \
  git \
  glibc-devel \
  java-1.8.0-openjdk-devel \
  make \
  ncurses-devel \
  openssl-devel \
  unzip \
  wget \
  wxBase.x86_64

RUN git clone https://github.com/asdf-vm/asdf.git ~/.asdf --branch v0.13.1 && \
  echo '. $HOME/.asdf/asdf.sh' >> ~/.bashrc

RUN source ~/.bashrc && \
  asdf plugin add erlang https://github.com/asdf-vm/asdf-erlang.git && \
  asdf plugin add elixir https://github.com/asdf-vm/asdf-elixir.git && \
  asdf install erlang $ERLANG_VERSION && \
  asdf install elixir $ELIXIR_VERSION && \
  asdf global erlang $ERLANG_VERSION && \
  asdf global elixir $ELIXIR_VERSION

# Install build tools
RUN source ~/.bashrc && mix do local.rebar --force, local.hex -if-missing --force

RUN mkdir /app
COPY ./ /app
WORKDIR /app

# Elixir release
RUN source ~/.bashrc && mix do deps.get --only prod, compile, release --overwrite

# Make a release archive
RUN tar -zcvf /app/release.tar.gz -C /app/_build/prod/rel/topo_master .

pcriv

pcriv OP

Even if I do this?

docker build . --file Dockerfile.build --tag topomaster
docker run -it topomaster /app/_build/prod/rel/topo_master/bin/topo_master start

As I understand I’m building the release inside the container, and then trying to run it inside such same container, so it should work unless I’m misunderstanding how docker build works :confused:

D4no0

D4no0

You want to say that running the docker image on your local machine also doesn’t work?

pcriv

pcriv OP

Sorry… I don’t understand what you mean

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

OK, that’s a really weird way of installing Erlang and Elixir but there are likely not many officially blessed ways under CentOS – not an expert on it.

Still, I am curious why didn’t you use Hex.PM’s official Docker images?

Have you also tried put CMD /bin/topo_master start at the end of the Dockerfile so you don’t have to get inside it to start the app?

These might not be strongly related to your problem but I’d go through such a laundry list to make sure it’s not something in earlier stages of the deployment decisions.

pcriv

pcriv OP

I tried adding CMD /app/_build/prod/rel/topo_master/bin/topo_master start but I get the same error

Still, I am curious why didn’t you use Hex.PM’s official Docker images?

  1. The dedicated servers where we need to deploy the app are running Centos 7 sadly :frowning:
  2. I didn’t know about those images, thanks for sharing

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews