CptnKirk
I’m interested in using Elixir as a control language for managing data streams across and between various external applications and libraries. I can tolerate the latency of Erlang Ports and don’t want the development complexity of well behaved IO intensive NIFs.
I’m looking at two projects that appear helpful:
- Erlexec - GitHub - saleyn/erlexec: Execute and control OS processes from Erlang/OTP · GitHub
- Also has an Elixir wrapper - GitHub - ericentin/exexec: Execute and control OS processes from Elixir. · GitHub
- Porcelain - GitHub - alco/porcelain: Work with external processes like a boss · GitHub
Does anyone have experience with either or preferably both of these projects that could lend some insights into picking between the two?
I found this to be a pretty insightful demonstration of Porcelain usage (thx John): GitHub - johnwahba/vdemo2017 · GitHub
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
OvermindDL1
I found erlexec more featureful, but porcelain was also new at the time. Regardless you probably want the extra compiled file that both offer to make it more reliable.
Don’t use either if you control what your Port is controlling though, you really only need those to interact with programs that, for example, don’t close when their stdin closes and so forth. Basically if you are writing your Port program, just use Port directly; if you are using someone else’s program as a Port and not your own, then use a wrapper like that if they are not good stdin citizens. ^.^
CptnKirk
I agree with the extra compiled file statement. The vdemo Porcelain project was pretty broken without installing the extra goon add-on. Porcelain fell back to some compatibility mode but didn’t function properly. I haven’t tried Erlexec yet. Does someone have an easy to consume idiomatic Erlexec project they could point me to?
Maybe I should port vdemo to Erlexec and see how that goes.
It would appear that Erlexec’s add-on ships with Erlexec and is C++ without an additional Go dependency. The Go dependency might not be the end of the world, but it is something to consider I guess.