yhwbach

yhwbach

I have an CLI app in an an application but anytime I want to run to it. I get an error from tzdata

ERROR! Could not start application tzdata: exited in: Tzdata.App.start(:normal, [])
    ** (EXIT) an exception was raised:
        ** (MatchError) no match of right hand side value: {:error, {:shutdown, {:failed_to_start_child, Tzdata.EtsHolder, {%File.Error{reason: :enotdir, path: "/home/daniel/personal/projects/blud/blud/tzdata/priv/release_ets", action: "list directory"}, [{File, :ls!, 1, [file: ~c"lib/file.ex", line: 1700]}, {Tzdata.EtsHolder, :release_files_for_dir, 1, [file: ~c"lib/tzdata/ets_holder.ex", line: 127]}, {Tzdata.EtsHolder, :make_sure_a_release_is_on_file, 0, [file: ~c"lib/tzdata/ets_holder.ex", line: 90]}, {Tzdata.EtsHolder, :init, 1, [file: ~c"lib/tzdata/ets_holder.ex", line: 16]}, {:gen_server, :init_it, 2, [file: ~c"gen_server.erl", line: 2057]}, {:gen_server, :init_it, 6, [file: ~c"gen_server.erl", line: 2012]}, {:proc_lib, :init_p_do_apply, 3, [file: ~c"proc_lib.erl", line: 329]}]}}}}
            (tzdata 1.1.3) lib/tzdata/tzdata_app.ex:13: Tzdata.App.start/2
            (kernel 10.0) application_master.erl:295: :application_master.start_it_old/4

Here are my dependencies:

defp deps do 
    [
        {:req, "~> 0.5.0"},
        {:timex, "~> 3.0"},
        {:tzdata, "~> 1.1", override: true}
   ]
end

Note: I put override property to be true because I found a github issues stating that that would fix issue but it didn’t.

Looking at the error, I see the reason is a :enotdir error which is correct, the project is actually on /home/daniel/personal/projects/blud not /home/daniel/personal/projects/blud/blud/. I don’t know where tzdata pkg is getting that path from. Also looking at the docs for tzdata give no insight into solving this problem as I have tried almost all config stated in the docs. Though the application compiles normally and work when I try in iex but when I use the CLI built using escript that when the tzdata pops up.


Please does anyone know how to go about this? Thanks!!!

Showing Posts 1 to 2

ruslandoga

ruslandoga

:waving_hand:

In my experience that error usually means :tzdata couldn’t create the directory to store or read the downloaded and processed tzdata due to e.g. permissions issues (:tzdata “ignores” the “real” error from File.mkdir_p/1 here and then fails with a less descriptive enoent error in File.ls! here). The path can be configured with something like

config :tzdata, :data_dir, "/some/other/path"

in one of your config/*.exs files.

By default it’s Application.app_dir(:tzdata, "priv") which seems to evaluate to /home/daniel/personal/projects/blud/blud/tzdata/priv in your case.


Ah, just saw your error is :enotdir so it might be something else.

yhwbach

yhwbach OP

Thanks @ruslandoga! Yeah this somewhat worked after hacking around (I had to move the ets release from tzdata in new folder in this project and reference it in the config data_dir with ~/personal/projects/blud/priv/tzdata ). Though I got another error but I can move from there.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews