ShalokShalom
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 8- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
astery
Nice! We have some steps in that direction with Exception.blame in v1.5. Thou I would rephrase the question to “That errors output in elixir do you think should be better handled?” Because it’s not a general approach, but context/error specific.
ShalokShalom
So far as I see is it general and some might think, the current solution is more suitable.
OvermindDL1
Statically typed languages are able to give error messages like that because the compiler knows the types and can infer a lot of information based on that, Elixir’s would not be capable of near the same level.
However, Elixir has some really nice messages, like the new showing which cases did and did not match so you know why things fail a match is unique. ^.^
ShalokShalom
Hnn, the line can be shown this way?
OvermindDL1
What line?
You can see the new match errors reported on: Elixir v1.5 released - The Elixir programming language
They are in the asciinema so make sure third-party javascript is enabled. It is quite nice.
ShalokShalom
@AstonJ The link in the initial post changed: Way, Way, Waaaay Nicer Error Messages! · Reason
joaoevangelista
Can’t we really have messages like that? Just showing the line in the format its presented, the position of the error and an verbose explanation for possible causes would help a lot!
OvermindDL1
Doesn’t elixir already do that for most errors if the information is available (I.E. full compiled module, recent OTP that Elixir is compiled with, etc…)?