Error on absinthe test

Hi everyone,

I can’t figure out if what I am doing in wormwood is a bug or a bad implementation. I also looked over the library source code and couldn’t figure this out.

So here is the problem:

If I create a schema like this it doesn’t passes the test

@desc "Queryable fields for Blog Articles"
  query do
    field :blog_articles, list_of(:blog_article) do
      resolve(fn _, _, _ ->
        {:ok, Blog.list_articles()}
      end)
    end
  end

@desc "define fileds that can be acessed for Blog queries"
  object :blog_article do
    field :id, :id
    field :title, :string
  end
end

Error trace:

mix test test/abs_wow_web/schema/queries/blog_article_test.ex                             

1) test GetArticles.gql Should return a list of all the Articles (all 2 of them) (AbsWowWeb.BlogArticleTest)
     test/abs_wow_web/schema/queries/blog_article_test.ex:12
     ** (ArgumentError) argument error
     code: assert length(articles) == 2
     stacktrace:
       :erlang.length(nil)
       test/abs_wow_web/schema/queries/blog_article_test.ex:17: (test)

Finished in 0.3 seconds
1 test, 1 failure

But if i do it like this it passes the test with no problems:

@desc "Queryable fields for Blog Articles"
  query do
    field :articles, list_of(:article) do
      resolve(fn _, _, _ ->
        {:ok, Blog.list_articles()}
      end)
    end
  end

@desc "define fileds that can be acessed for Blog queries"
  object :article do
    field :id, :id
    field :title, :string
  end
end

I also created a minimal example here with the problem https://github.com/wolfiton/abs_wow

Can someone explain to me if this is a bug or if i am doing something wrong?

Thanks

When in doubt, IO.inspect. Specifically, IO.inspect this line: https://github.com/wolfiton/abs_wow/blob/master/test/abs_wow_web/schema/queries/blog_article_test.ex#L14

You’re getting an error because your articles variable, defined on this line, is nil. https://github.com/wolfiton/abs_wow/blob/master/test/abs_wow_web/schema/queries/blog_article_test.ex#L16. Using get_in is probably not the way you want to go, it just returns nil without giving you any insight into what’s going on. I’d probably rewrite your pattern match to be:

assert {:ok, %{data: %{"BlogArticles" => articles}}} = result

This way if the result does not have articles you can at least see why.

4 Likes

Hello again @wolfiton,

I pulled down your code and I think I know what the problem is.

After I got it to run (more on that in the bottom) I saw that the error it threw was

%{
  errors: [
    %{
      locations: [%{column: 0, line: 5}],
    }
  ]

What I did was went directly into GetArticles.gql and copied the fragment from ArticleFields.frag.gql so that it looked like this. After that it ran fine. It seems like there is an issue in the import you are doing.

query {
  BlogArticles {
    id
    title
  }
}

If you want to get the fragment import to work you need to do a few things.

1. You are importing from ./ArticleFields.gql but the file is called ArticleFields.frag.gql
  2. The fragment inside ArticleFields.gql is called BlogArticleFields, but in your query you are just using ArticleFields.
  3. Your import statement was incorrectly formatted. Yours: # import ./ArticleFields.gql. What it needs to be: #import "./ArticleFields.frag.ql" Notice there is no space between # and import, and that the file name is quoted.

So, by fixing the import and using the correct fragment name it should all work fine.

Also, as an aside, make sure you can run any code that you upload for others to test. I had to rename a few files and comment out some code from what you uploaded to get mix test to run successfully. Just makes it a bit easier to get you the help you need.

Hope that helps.

4 Likes

Thank you @benwilson512 for looking over my code and providing guidance and code to solve the problem and a better way to access the data that i am testing.

Thanks @Darin for providing help and for your time on explaining what i missed. Also thank you for pointing out what I could do better in the future to improve as a programmer. Really appreciate the time you put in the answer.

I would like to request permission from @benwilson512 and @Darin to add you to the credits of the Readme in helping me create the abs_wow Wormwood example testing.

Would this be OK with you/?

I am asking because i live in Europe where GDPR is a serious issue.

1 Like