Darkoyd

Darkoyd

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to Elixir and so far I’ve had a blast.
As part of an academic assignment I’ve been tasked with implementing a concurrent messaging application using Mutex and Locks.

Before anything, I’ll start by saying that I know this is highly discouraged in Elixir and I am very aware and understand why. Still, for learning’s sake, I must do it with Mutex and Locks in mind.

I am currently using the Mutex Mix module described here. As far as I understand, it’s basically a GenServer with error handling.

My first solution was to follow the documentation on the Mutex Mix module and did everything on top of another GenServer to harbour its utilities to handle state and lock every operation with the Mutex. It works as expected, yet upon asking my TA, they confirmed that was not allowed for this assignment.

Having those two things in mind, so far, I’ve defined a module such that

defmodule MutexChatroom do

def func(state) do
  receive do
    {:join, user} ->
      state = join(state, user)
      func(state)
    {:disconnect, user} ->
      state = disconnect(state, user)
      func(state)
    {:write_message, user, message} ->
      state = write_message(state, user, message)
      func(state)
    {:read_messages, user} ->
      state = read_messages(state, user)
      func(state)
    {:exit} ->
      IO.puts("SERVER: Goodbye!")
  end
end
...
end

the join/2, disconnect/2, write_message/3 and read_messages/2 functions all follow the following structure:

def func(state, x) do
    lock = Mutex.await(ChatLock, state)

        #Some logic checking the state and logging to console.

     Mutex.release(ChatLock, lock)
     state
  end

Inside the main module where I handle user input on the console I am calling on start the following:

    {:ok, pid} = Task.start_link(fn -> MutexChatroom.func(%{users: [], messages: []}) end)

    children = [
      {Mutex, name: ChatLock}
    ]

    {:ok, sup_pid} = Supervisor.start_link(children, strategy: :one_for_one)

and using the send/2 function using pid as a parameter to update the state in the module.

Upon running the code, once send/2 is called I get the following error:

** (EXIT from #PID<0.191.0>) shell process exited with reason: shutdown: failed to start child: Mutex
    ** (EXIT) already started: #PID<0.193.0>

So far I’ve had no luck replicating the behaviour of my previous implementation neither managed to run it completely.

Any help is welcome,
Thanks! :slight_smile:

Showing Posts 1 to 2

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

That error message is from Supervisor.start_link - are you sure execution even makes it to the send?

The message tells you something else has already started a process named ChatLock.

Darkoyd

Darkoyd OP

Hi,

You are right, I found out the error like 20 minutes after posting and was trying to frantically delete the post once I fixed it. I had the Supervisor.start_link line running recursively by accident.

Thanks anyway :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews