Hi Im installing Elixir in elementary os,

when I try to install erlang with
sudo apt-get install esl-erlang

The esl-erlang package is not available, but some other package references
to the. This may mean that the package is missing, outdated, or only
is available from some other source

E: The “esl-erlang” package does not have a candidate for installation

and if I try to install elixir and then check version, this happens

Erlang/OTP 20 [erts-9.2] [source] [64-bit] [smp:4:4] [ds:4:4:10] [async-threads:10] [kernel-poll:false]

{“init terminating in do_boot”,{{badmatch,error},[{‘Elixir.System’,build,0,[{file,“lib/system.ex”},{line,172}]},{‘Elixir.System’,build_info,0,[{file,“lib/system.ex”},{line,164}]},{‘Elixir.Kernel.CLI’,parse_shared,2,[{file,“lib/kernel/cli.ex”},{line,153}]},{‘Elixir.Kernel.CLI’,‘shared_option?’,3,[{file,“lib/kernel/cli.ex”},{line,113}]},{‘Elixir.Kernel.CLI’,main,1,[{file,“lib/kernel/cli.ex”},{line,14}]},{init,start_em,1,},{init,do_boot,3,}]}}
init terminating in do_boot ({{badmatch,error},[{Elixir.System,build,0,[{},{}]},{Elixir.System,build_info,0,[{},{}]},{Elixir.Kernel.CLI,parse_shared,2,[{},{}]},{Elixir.Kernel.CLI,shared_option?,

Can anybody help me , please?

You’d be much better off using asdf to install both erlang & elixir. That way you can have multiple versions installed and switch between them etc.

Just be sure to check and install any required system packages. The requirements and instructions are listed on the repo of each plugin. Just follow the link to the repo in the plugins list.

Since Elementary OS seems to be using apt, it’s probably based on Debian, so you can most likely follow the instructions under Before asdf install for Ubuntu and Debian in the asdf-erlang repo.

3 Likes

Hi, I try to install erlang using asdf but the instalation takes ages, 30 minutes

I install the dependencies and then

asdf plugin add erlang GitHub - asdf-vm/asdf-erlang: Erlang plugin for asdf version manager
asdf install erlang latest
Downloading kerl…
asdf_23.2.7 is not a kerl-managed Erlang/OTP installation
No build named asdf_23.2.7
Downloading OTP-23.2.7.tar.gz to /home/victor/.asdf/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/archives…
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 122 100 122 0 0 259 0 --:–:-- --:–:-- --:–:-- 259
100 53.9M 0 53.9M 0 0 1154k 0 --:–:-- 0:00:47 --:–:-- 1197k
Extracting source code
Building Erlang/OTP 23.2.7 (asdf_23.2.7), please wait…

Yes, compiling Erlang from C sources can take a while. Don’t worry about it unless it’s still hung 6h later.

1 Like

just finish, but more problems

victor@victor-Lenovo-Z50-75:~$ asdf plugin-add elixir GitHub - asdf-vm/asdf-elixir: Elixir plugin for asdf version manager
victor@victor-Lenovo-Z50-75:~$ asdf install elixir latest
==> Checking whether specified Elixir release exists…
==> Downloading 1.11.3-otp-23 to /tmp/elixir_build_72dqIW/elixir-precompiled-1.11.3-otp-23.zip
100 5725k 100 5725k 0 0 1162k 0 0:00:04 0:00:04 --:–:-- 1171k
==> Copying release into place
victor@victor-Lenovo-Z50-75:~$ elixir -v
No preset version installed for command elixir
Please install a version by running one of the following:

asdf install elixir master-otp-23

or add one of the following versions in your config file at /home/victor/.tool-versions
elixir 1.11.3-otp-23

I tried installing one more time

asdf install elixir master-otp-23
==> Checking whether specified Elixir release exists…
==> Downloading master-otp-23 to /tmp/elixir_build_KiAL55/elixir-precompiled-master-otp-23.zip
100 5787k 100 5787k 0 0 1166k 0 0:00:04 0:00:04 --:–:-- 1214k
==> Copying release into place
victor@victor-Lenovo-Z50-75:~$ elixir -v
No version set for command erl
Consider adding one of the following versions in your config file at /home/victor/.tool-versions
erlang 23.2.7

doesnt detect version, or command iex…

You need to also activate the freshly installed elixir either in a project, in a shell or globally.

Please refer to the documentation of asdf local and asdf global for the most common use cases.

2 Likes

Thanks, I set the global versión and now works, thank you