polovy

polovy

Hi,

I am going through some tutorials, and I’m trying to generate an Identicon, but Im getting an error when trying to run the program. The program is compiling with no issues, but it looks like it errors when executing :egd.render(image) - when I comment it out there is no error. I had a look at the code and I cannot find anything wrong. EGD has been installed from the git repo.
Error:

09:55:06.606 [error] Process #PID<0.141.0> raised an exception
** (UndefinedFunctionError) function :zlib.crc32/2 is undefined or private
    :zlib.crc32(#Reference<0.1358207439.4254203912.140130>, <<73, 72, 68, 82, 0, 0, 0, 250, 0, 0, 0, 250, 8, 2, 0, 0, 0>>)
    (egd 0.10.0) d:/Dropbox/Projects/Programming/Elixir/maps/deps/egd/src/egd_png.erl:102: :egd_png.create_chunk/2
    (egd 0.10.0) d:/Dropbox/Projects/Programming/Elixir/maps/deps/egd/src/egd_png.erl:72: :egd_png.bitmap2png/4
    (egd 0.10.0) d:/Dropbox/Projects/Programming/Elixir/maps/deps/egd/src/egd_png.erl:62: :egd_png.binary/3
    (egd 0.10.0) d:/Dropbox/Projects/Programming/Elixir/maps/deps/egd/src/egd.erl:240: :egd.loop/1
** (EXIT from #PID<0.140.0>) shell process exited with reason: an exception was raised:
    ** (UndefinedFunctionError) function :zlib.crc32/2 is undefined or private
        :zlib.crc32(#Reference<0.1358207439.4254203912.140130>, <<73, 72, 68, 82, 0, 0, 0, 250, 0, 0, 0, 250, 8, 2, 0, 0, 0>>)
        (egd 0.10.0) d:/Dropbox/Projects/Programming/Elixir/maps/deps/egd/src/egd_png.erl:102: :egd_png.create_chunk/2
        (egd 0.10.0) d:/Dropbox/Projects/Programming/Elixir/maps/deps/egd/src/egd_png.erl:72: :egd_png.bitmap2png/4
        (egd 0.10.0) d:/Dropbox/Projects/Programming/Elixir/maps/deps/egd/src/egd_png.erl:62: :egd_png.binary/3
        (egd 0.10.0) d:/Dropbox/Projects/Programming/Elixir/maps/deps/egd/src/egd.erl:240: :egd.loop/1

Program:

defmodule Maps do
  def main(input) do
    input
    |> hashstring
    |> pick_color
    |> build_grid
    |> filter_odd
    |> build_pixel_map
    |> draw_image
    |> save_image(input)
  end

  def save_image(image, input) do
    File.write("#{input}.png", image)
  end

  def draw_image(%Identicon.Image{color: color, pixel_map: pixel_map}) do
    image = :egd.create(250, 250)
    fill = :egd.color(color)

    Enum.each pixel_map, fn({start, stop}) ->
      :egd.filledRectangle(image, start, stop, fill)
    end

    :egd.render(image)
  end

  def build_pixel_map(%Identicon.Image{grid: grid} = image) do
    pix_map = Enum.map grid, fn({_code, index}) ->
      horizontal = rem(index, 5) *50
      vertical = div(index, 5) *50

      top_left = {horizontal, vertical}
      bottom_right = {horizontal+50, vertical+50}

      {top_left, bottom_right}
    end

    %Identicon.Image{image | pixel_map: pix_map}
  end

  def filter_odd(%Identicon.Image{grid: grid} = image) do
    grid = Enum.filter grid, fn({code, _index}) ->
      rem(code, 2) == 0
    end

    %Identicon.Image{image | grid: grid}
  end

  def build_grid(%Identicon.Image{hex: hex}= image) do
    grid =
      hex
      |> Enum.chunk_every(3, 2, :discard)
      |> Enum.map(&mirror_row/1)
      |> List.flatten
      |> Enum.with_index

    %Identicon.Image{image | grid: grid}
  end

  def mirror_row(row) do
    # [123, 34, 22]
    [first, second | _tail] = row

    # [123, 34, 22, 34, 123]
    row ++ [second, first]
  end

  def pick_color(%Identicon.Image{hex: [red, green, blue | _tail]} = image) do
    %Identicon.Image{image | color: {red, green, blue}}
  end

  def hashstring(string) do
    hex =  :crypto.hash(:md5, string)
    |> :binary.bin_to_list

    %Identicon.Image{hex: hex}
  end
end
'''
Struct:

defmodule Identicon.Image do
defstruct hex: nil, color: nil, grid: nil, pixel_map: nil
end


Thanks.

The :egd

Showing Posts 1 to 4

juhalehtonen

juhalehtonen

Hi @polovy !

I believe the issue you’re facing is due to the fact that the :egd library uses zlib:crc32/2, but that was removed in Erlang/OTP 27. Can you confirm this is a version you’re using (via elixir --version)?

Your code seems to be working as intended when an older version of Erlang/OTP is used, as those versions still retain zlib:crc32/2.

If you “just” want to run your code to see that it is working, you can downgrade your version of Erlang/OTP to below 27. Otherwise, you’ll need to look into either patching the :egd library to use the built-in :erlang.crc32/1, or to look for other ways to perform this part of the job :egd is doing for you.

polovy

polovy OP

It is indeed Erlang/OTP 27. As you can see from the code I’m calling sunctions and I dont quite see why those functions would call zlib:crc32/2. I’m not calling it explicitly, byt I’m calling :egd.render which seams to be using the zlib. I’m not sure why this would be.

In any case I may downgrade to test the code, as I’ve not yet the level of expertise to patch or look for other solutions.

Thanks.

thatcherhubbard

thatcherhubbard

I really like the Grider Elixir course on Udemy and there’s a reasonably easy (if not best practices) way around this if you’ve got OTP27 on your machine.

You can change your deps to refer directly to the local copy of EGD, and then change the one line that calls zlib:crc32:

In mix.exs, change {:egd, github: "erlang/egd"} to {:egd, path: "deps/egd"}.

In your project directory (probably identicon), run a mix deps.compile.

Then find deps/egd/src/dgd_png.erl and change Crc = zlib:crc32(Z,Bin), to Crc = erlang:crc32(Bin).

I’ll see about getting a PR opened against EGD when I can figure out how to get the test suite to run properly.

nifalconi

nifalconi

Hello, adding to the answer of @thatcherhubbard

the change is

create_chunk(Bin,_Z) when is_list(Bin) ->
    create_chunk(list_to_binary(Bin),_Z);
create_chunk(Bin,_Z) when is_binary(Bin) ->
    Sz = size(Bin)-4,
    Crc = erlang:crc32(Bin),
    <<Sz:32,Bin/binary,Crc:32>>.

As there are previous references to zlib there.

Thanks @thatcherhubbard for making the suggestion. A life savior there.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews