rbino

rbino

Ash Core Team

This is a followup on my previous question, I’ll paste here the relevant part:

   many_to_many :dishes, Dish do
      through DailyMenuDish
      join_relationship :daily_menu_dishes

      sort [Ash.Sort.expr_sort(parent(daily_menu_dishes.position))]

      source_attribute_on_join_resource :daily_menu_id
      destination_attribute_on_join_resource :dish_id
    end

I had this relationship and all was well if I just wanted to create it and display it in order using the position attribute on the join resource (see previous post).

Now I also wanted to update the dishes in the menu (to be precise, I transformed the create to be an upsert) and I’ve found the correct options to do so using manage_relationship but they work only if I comment out the sort option.

If I don’t, it fails with:

* ** (KeyError) key :parent_bindings not found in: %{
  sort: [
    {#Ash.Resource.Calculation.Expression<[expr: parent(daily_menu_dishes.position)]>,
     :asc}
  ],
  context: %{
    private: %{actor: nil, authorize?: false, in_before_action?: true},
    action: %Ash.Resource.Actions.Read{
      arguments: [],
      description: nil,
      filter: nil,
      get_by: [],
      get?: false,
      manual: nil,
      metadata: [],
      modify_query: nil,
      name: :read,
      pagination: false,
      preparations: [],
      primary?: true,
      touches_resources: [],
      transaction?: false,
      type: :read
    },
    actor: nil,
    authorize?: false,
    accessing_from: %{name: :dishes, source: MyApp.MenuManagement.DailyMenu},
    query_opts: [
      verbose?: false,
      actor: nil,
      authorize?: false,
      page: nil,
      return_query?: false
    ],
    initial_limit: 1,
    initial_offset: 0,
    page_opts: nil,
    initial_query: #Ash.Query<
      resource: MyApp.MenuManagement.Dish,
      filter: #Ash.Filter<name == "baz">,
      sort: [
        {#Ash.Resource.Calculation.Expression<[expr: parent(daily_menu_dishes.position)]>,
         :asc}
      ],
      limit: 1
    >,
    filter_requests: []
  },
  bindings: %{
    0 => %{type: :root, path: [], source: MyApp.MenuManagement.Dish}
  },
  resource: MyApp.MenuManagement.Dish,
  current: 1,
  calculations: %{},
  aggregate_defs: %{},
  in_group?: false,
  current_aggregate_name: :aggregate_0,
  aggregate_names: %{},
  parent_resources: []
}    at dishes, 2

    (ash 2.17.3) lib/ash/api/api.ex:2324: Ash.Api.unwrap_or_raise!/3
    iex:41: (file)

I wasn’t sure where to open an issue because on_lookup is from Ash core, while the :parent_binding error comes from Ash Postgres, let me know if it helps if I do it and if I need to provide some more information.

Showing Posts 1 to 7

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

NGL I don’t think I considered the case of using parent in a relationship sort like that. Mind opening an issue on AshPostgres?

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

If you could PR a failing test that would be awesome too :slight_smile: I’ve got a few irons in the fire and a failing test would save me lots of time!

rbino

rbino OP

Ash Core Team

I’ve opened the issue and submitted a PR reproducing the failure

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

So, the issue here is actually pretty interesting. The basic issue is that we use the sort and the filter of a relationship to lookup potential matches, and if there is a parent reference then it doesn’t really make sense… :thinking: The only thing I can think to do is to ignore filters/sorts with parent references when managing relationships.

rbino

rbino OP

Ash Core Team

I’m not sure about filter, but I think ignoring the sort shouldn’t affect the result of manage_relationship, or is the order relevant?

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

The order could theoretically be relevant. But in this case, it makes sense that we can’t apply the filter or sort if they reference parent, because we are looking up some not currently related thing.

rbino

rbino OP

Ash Core Team

Your commit in main fixed this, thanks!

Relevant commit for posterity:
https://github.com/ash-project/ash/commit/432d65a00320bb196a3b8cf7bb1ed91657925b35

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews