HaydenAscot

HaydenAscot

Hi there, I’m having some trouble with the “System” module, specifically the cmd function. My code is the following, which is exactly the same as the documentation, StackOverflow/Elixir forum answers, etc:

System.cmd("echo", ["Hello"])

I’m getting the following error:

** (ErlangError) Erlang error: :enoent
    (elixir 1.10.4) lib/system.ex:795: System.cmd("echo", ["Hello"], [])
    (elixir 1.10.4) lib/code.ex:926: Code.require_file/2

I understand the “enoent” means “No such file or directory”, however, I don’t understand what file or directory could possibly be required in this case. It’s probably an elementary mistake which wouldn’t surprise me as I’m new to Elixir/Erlang. There are 2 things worth mentioning, in my opinion. The first is that surrounding the words “echo” and “Hello” in single quotes instead of double quotes, so System.cmd(‘echo’, [‘Hello’]), produces a different error:

** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in System.cmd/3

    The following arguments were given to System.cmd/3:

        # 1
        'echo'

        # 2
        ['Hello']

        # 3
        []

    Attempted function clauses (showing 1 out of 1):

        def cmd(+command+, +args+, +opts+) when -is_binary(command)- and +is_list(args)+

    (elixir 1.10.4) lib/system.ex:782: System.cmd/3
    (elixir 1.10.4) lib/code.ex:926: Code.require_file/2

probably unrelated although I’m guessing this means that double quotes and single quotes are different in elixir. The other thing is that the following command works:

IO.puts "echo Hello" |> String.to_charlist |> :os.cmd

Although this one seems to return the result of running the command instead of directly running it in the running shell, hence the IO.puts, and I assume this isn’t the same behaviour as System.cmd
My apologies for the long post, but hopefully we can clear some things up here, and thanks in advance

Showing Posts 1 to 9

mpope

mpope

The function requires a binary (string with double quotes) and not a charlist (string with single quotes). That’s is the argument error that you’re getting. :os.cmd is the Erlang equivalent function.

Are you using Windows or a Unix-like OS?

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

:os.cmd use a shell while System.Cmd doesn’t. In a Unix like os, echo is both a shell builtin and an external command as /bin/echo so both should work. Like the other replier guessed you probrably don’t have /bin/echo

HaydenAscot

HaydenAscot OP

I’m using Windows, probably shouldv’e mentioned it. However, echo does work in windows, no? I also tried dir just in case, and it didn’t work either

NobbZ

NobbZ

In windows echo as well as dir are strict built-in a, there is no way to call them as binary.

You probably need to do something like System.cmd("cmd", ["-c", "echo foo"]) or something like that.

HaydenAscot

HaydenAscot OP

Could you point me to the relevant resources or search terms? At this point I’m not sure what to look for in this case

NobbZ

NobbZ

Back in the days, MS-DOS came with a good help program, very close to man on unix systems, but for actual DOS tools and builtins only.

Not sure if this is still available in todays cmd.exe, but to be honest, I doubt it is… With a bit of luck there is some /help or --help switch for cmd.exe that you can try.

Also, you might try where, to see if a command is available in the PATH. If windows is a nice person, it will tell you that dir is actually a builtin, if its nasty it will just tell you that its not available in PATH.

Also, the information microsoft gives away about what is or is not available in cmd.exe gets more sparse every year, as they try hard to encourage users to do more PowerShell instead.

HaydenAscot

HaydenAscot OP

is it possible to run PowerShell commands from Elixir instead?

NobbZ

NobbZ

Yes, by calling Powershell instead of cmd and passing it the command/script with appropriate command line flags.

derek-zhou

derek-zhou

The first thing I do on Windows is to install msys2 which gives you a sane command line interface.

Cmd is dead. PowerShell is nice however it is not significantly better than bash so I don’t see the point of being different from everybody else.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews