biske

biske

Hi, I’m following phoenix/guides/deployment/heroku.md at main · phoenixframework/phoenix · GitHub to deploy using Heroku containers.

Here’s the example repo: GitHub - biske/hello: Basic Phoenix application to test deployment to Heroku · GitHub

When I push to heroku I get following error:

Apples-MacBook-Pro:hello ivanbisevac$ git push heroku master
Enumerating objects: 83, done.
Counting objects: 100% (83/83), done.
Delta compression using up to 8 threads
Compressing objects: 100% (75/75), done.
Writing objects: 100% (83/83), 97.06 KiB | 6.93 MiB/s, done.
Total 83 (delta 4), reused 0 (delta 0)
remote: Compressing source files... done.
remote: Building source:
remote: === Fetching app code
remote: 
remote: === Building web (Dockerfile)
remote: Sending build context to Docker daemon  368.6kB
remote: Step 1/25 : FROM elixir:1.9.0-alpine AS build
remote: 1.9.0-alpine: Pulling from library/elixir
remote: e7c96db7181b: Pulling fs layer
remote: c306444e2774: Pulling fs layer
remote: 4b80324f258b: Pulling fs layer
remote: e7c96db7181b: Verifying Checksum
remote: e7c96db7181b: Download complete
remote: 4b80324f258b: Verifying Checksum
remote: 4b80324f258b: Download complete
remote: e7c96db7181b: Pull complete
remote: c306444e2774: Verifying Checksum
remote: c306444e2774: Download complete
remote: c306444e2774: Pull complete
remote: 4b80324f258b: Pull complete
remote: Digest: sha256:bd6e03f00f57a121f6f31374d693e9027ce6053e25700be4d7c64f83dd249a56
remote: Status: Downloaded newer image for elixir:1.9.0-alpine
remote:  ---> 7a6d28e4b511
remote: Step 2/25 : RUN apk add --update build-base npm git
remote:  ---> Running in 244929b60841
remote: fetch http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.9/main/x86_64/APKINDEX.tar.gz
remote: fetch http://dl-cdn.alpinelinux.org/alpine/v3.9/community/x86_64/APKINDEX.tar.gz
remote: (1/31) Upgrading musl (1.1.20-r4 -> 1.1.20-r5)
remote: (2/31) Installing binutils (2.31.1-r2)
remote: (3/31) Installing libmagic (5.36-r1)
remote: (4/31) Installing file (5.36-r1)
remote: (5/31) Installing gmp (6.1.2-r1)
remote: (6/31) Installing isl (0.18-r0)
remote: (7/31) Installing libgomp (8.3.0-r0)
remote: (8/31) Installing libatomic (8.3.0-r0)
remote: (9/31) Installing libgcc (8.3.0-r0)
remote: (10/31) Installing mpfr3 (3.1.5-r1)
remote: (11/31) Installing mpc1 (1.0.3-r1)
remote: (12/31) Installing libstdc++ (8.3.0-r0)
remote: (13/31) Installing gcc (8.3.0-r0)
remote: (14/31) Installing musl-dev (1.1.20-r5)
remote: (15/31) Installing libc-dev (0.7.1-r0)
remote: (16/31) Installing g++ (8.3.0-r0)
remote: (17/31) Installing make (4.2.1-r2)
remote: (18/31) Installing fortify-headers (1.0-r0)
remote: (19/31) Installing build-base (0.5-r1)
remote: (20/31) Installing nghttp2-libs (1.35.1-r1)
remote: (21/31) Installing libssh2 (1.9.0-r1)
remote: (22/31) Installing libcurl (7.64.0-r3)
remote: (23/31) Installing expat (2.2.8-r0)
remote: (24/31) Installing pcre2 (10.32-r1)
remote: (25/31) Installing git (2.20.1-r0)
remote: (26/31) Upgrading musl-utils (1.1.20-r4 -> 1.1.20-r5)
remote: (27/31) Installing c-ares (1.15.0-r0)
remote: (28/31) Installing http-parser (2.8.1-r0)
remote: (29/31) Installing libuv (1.23.2-r0)
remote: (30/31) Installing nodejs (10.14.2-r0)
remote: (31/31) Installing npm (10.14.2-r0)
remote: Executing busybox-1.29.3-r10.trigger
remote: OK: 235 MiB in 51 packages
remote: Removing intermediate container 244929b60841
remote:  ---> c32d9dd1e1ab
remote: Step 3/25 : RUN mkdir /app
remote:  ---> Running in 1421ee00b856
remote: Removing intermediate container 1421ee00b856
remote:  ---> 99aace19d0bf
remote: Step 4/25 : WORKDIR /app
remote:  ---> Running in e1cb3f87b4d0
remote: Removing intermediate container e1cb3f87b4d0
remote:  ---> c37e5c3877f2
remote: Step 5/25 : RUN mix local.hex --force &&     mix local.rebar --force
remote:  ---> Running in 35ced8130ede
remote: * creating /root/.mix/archives/hex-0.20.1
remote: * creating /root/.mix/rebar
remote: * creating /root/.mix/rebar3
remote: Removing intermediate container 35ced8130ede
remote:  ---> afa2e665d580
remote: Step 6/25 : ENV MIX_ENV=prod
remote:  ---> Running in f5b1950ab144
remote: Removing intermediate container f5b1950ab144
remote:  ---> 8e416fc55c15
remote: Step 7/25 : COPY mix.exs mix.lock ./
remote:  ---> 2c89dc19046c
remote: Step 8/25 : COPY config config
remote:  ---> 5ac08e894b10
remote: Step 9/25 : RUN mix deps.get
remote:  ---> Running in 161800382fd6
remote: ** (RuntimeError) environment variable DATABASE_URL is missing.
remote: For example: ecto://USER:PASS@HOST/DATABASE
remote: 
remote:     (stdlib) erl_eval.erl:680: :erl_eval.do_apply/6
remote:     (stdlib) erl_eval.erl:449: :erl_eval.expr/5
remote:     (stdlib) erl_eval.erl:126: :erl_eval.exprs/5
remote:     (elixir) lib/code.ex:240: Code.eval_string/3
remote:     (mix) lib/mix/config.ex:158: anonymous fn/2 in Mix.Config.__import__!/2
remote:     (elixir) lib/enum.ex:1948: Enum."-reduce/3-lists^foldl/2-0-"/3
remote:     (mix) lib/mix/config.ex:157: Mix.Config.__import__!/2
remote: The command '/bin/sh -c mix deps.get' returned a non-zero code: 1
remote: 
remote: Verifying deploy...
remote: 
remote: !	Push rejected to serene-tor-13468.
remote: 
To https://git.heroku.com/serene-tor-13468.git
 ! [remote rejected] master -> master (pre-receive hook declined)
error: failed to push some refs to 'https://git.heroku.com/serene-tor-13468.git'

Showing Posts 1 to 6

perzanko

perzanko

Have you set up database on your Heroku app? ‘DATABASE_URL is missing’ means that you haven’t exported the environment variable. You probably didn’t add a database as addon on Heroku.

If you use postgres, here is the tutorial how to do it: Heroku Postgres | Heroku Dev Center

biske

biske OP

Yes, that is covered in this part:
https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix/blob/master/guides/deployment/heroku.md#creating-environment-variables-in-heroku

To prove that database url is set I tried (I changed the values of course):

Apples-MacBook-Pro:hello ivanbisevac$ heroku config
=== serene-tor-13468 Config Vars
DATABASE_URL:    postgres://jbkhmewallortj:b44a50b8b938221a9caccbae04622bbf58bbcd60e894d2a309ece17259f2db1a@ec2-174-129-227-80.compute-1.amazonaws.com:5432/de34tt303335l8
POOL_SIZE:       18
SECRET_KEY_BASE: cWV2XTCuO0S4p7+jKdXXLYX9XQn8CzI1vVAW0g34smrV3lkAONjOQRmzv9QIarB

Seems like heroku is not exposing those variables in the build time. Probably heroku.yml from the tutorial is wrong.

perzanko

perzanko

Hmm. The issue could be related to docker. Try use this buildpack instead: GitHub - HashNuke/heroku-buildpack-elixir: Heroku Buildpack for Elixir with nitro boost · GitHub

biske

biske OP

That’s ok, but my question is not about buildpack deploy, but container one. Whole point is that there is Phoenix documentation how to deploy which doesn’t work.

outlog

outlog

think the issue will be solved if you complete these steps: phoenix/guides/deployment/releases.md at main · phoenixframework/phoenix · GitHub

caike

caike

Make sure the environment variables are created in Heroku, then add the following two lines to the top of the Dockerfile:

ARG DATABASE_URL
ARG SECRET_KEY_BASE
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews