joshua.aug
I’m trying to install a version of Erlang using asdf and I get this:
$ asdf install
elixir 1.14.3-otp-25 is already installed
asdf_25.2.3 is not a kerl-managed Erlang/OTP installation
The asdf_25.2.3 build has been deleted
Extracting source code
Building Erlang/OTP 25.2.3 (asdf_25.2.3), please wait...
[packages] Probe failed for libssl-dev (distro: ubuntu): probe "dpkg-query -Wf'${db:Status-abbrev}' "libssl-dev" 2>/dev/null | \grep -q '^i'" returned 1
[packages] Probe failed for automake (distro: ubuntu): probe "dpkg-query -Wf'${db:Status-abbrev}' "automake" 2>/dev/null | \grep -q '^i'" returned 1
[packages] Probe failed for autoconf (distro: ubuntu): probe "dpkg-query -Wf'${db:Status-abbrev}' "autoconf" 2>/dev/null | \grep -q '^i'" returned 1
[packages] Probe failed for libncurses5-dev (distro: ubuntu): probe "dpkg-query -Wf'${db:Status-abbrev}' "libncurses5-dev" 2>/dev/null | \grep -q '^i'" returned 1
Configure failed.
checking for kstat_open in -lkstat... (cached) no
checking for tgetent in -ltinfo... no
checking for tgetent in -lncurses... no
checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no
checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
configure: error: No curses library functions found
ERROR: /home/jauggy/.asdf/plugins/erlang/kerl-home/builds/asdf_25.2.3/otp_src_25.2.3/erts/configure failed!
./configure: 370: kill: No such process
I’m running the command on WSL (Ubuntu v22.04). This is the first time I’ve used asdf so no idea what’s wrong. The .tool-versions file shows:
erlang 25.2.3
elixir 1.14.3-otp-25
Looking at the documentation here:
asdf-vm/asdf-erlang: Erlang plugin for asdf version manager (github.com)
it says I might have to run:
apt-get -y install build-essential autoconf m4 libncurses5-dev libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev libwxgtk-webview3.0-gtk3-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libpng-dev libssh-dev unixodbc-dev xsltproc fop libxml2-utils libncurses-dev openjdk-11-jdk
but not sure if that’s overkill and instead should I just be installing the four that I’m missing (libssl-dev, automake, autoconf, libncurses5-dev).
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
karlosmid
Hi, I would advise to go with asdf-erlang advice.
dimitarvp
What do you mean “overkill”? They are normal dependencies, many software packages need other software packages to function.
joshua.aug
The docs mention specific versions of Ubuntu and my version is higher. So I thought the dependencies mentioned in the docs only applies to those specific versions of Ubuntu or lower.
dimitarvp
No, Ubuntu version has nothing to do with this, they are dependencies of Erlang.