r11na
I’m trying to write a git pre-push hook using elixir
I want to be able to read user input when the script executes and then depending on the user input proceed with the push or abort.
The problem I’m having is when excuted as a pre-push script, the script immediately exits, not waiting for my IO.gets() command.
When the script is run manually from the cmd line, it correctly waits for user input at IO.gets() and returns the result.
Is there something i’m missing here why does it not properly wait for input when triggered as a pre-push hook?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
NobbZ
Have you tried inspecting the return value of
IO.gets/2? If so, did it really print nothing?Also please share some more code. It should not just exit… It should return either a string,
:eofor{:error, reason}.r11na
It does print the IO.gets prompt, but it immediately shows :eof before I get to type anything.
NobbZ
I took a quick look at the documentation, you should receive local and remote ref data per stdin. You can not ask for user input:
r11na
ah i see, i was afraid i’d be out of luck being able to get user input
thanks for your help, you saved me the time of trying for hours in vain!
OvermindDL1
Correct, git hooks do not support talking to the user via stdin/stdout as they are already used for other purposes. I however would use something like
kdialoginstead (falling back to some defaults or a config file or so when no GUI session). ^.^r11na
Thanks, I didn’t think of just using a GUI dialog.
Are you aware of something similar to kdialog for OSX?
edit: Seems cocoadialog might be it.