smanza
Hello.
I saw on many posts and implementations for TCP connection management managed using GenServer or GenStatem, which is great with all the message passing, reactive, etc…
However, it can have strong risk of bottlenecks and overloading of the mailbox;
I ran some benchmarks, and tested an implementation of a TCP client using ETS to manage the socket.
Even if it’s not use message passing and synchronous reading of the socket, it still way faster, and even more when we add load or parallelization. So I don’t get timeouts easily.
It seems also a win/win as there is no need or less for process pooling, which tends to reduce the overhead.
What do you think about managing TCP connection by ETS ?
Thanks
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Matsa59
Hello
I’m not sure to understand what/how/why you use ETS for TCP connection but have take a look on Registry ? Pretty sure it could help you a lot
I don’t know how you manage the TCP state in ETS (what happen if a TCP tunel is closed etc). In registry, you’ll follow the erlang mind of wrap everything in a process to let it crash.
Edit : I’m interesting to see some code if you can ^^
smanza
The reason is the overload of the mailbox of the GenServer. I also tried GenStage but not better than GenServer.
For connection closed and family , I ended up checking on each message the tuple return , to determine if I need to reconnect or not. It’s more like as demand.
A better version could be to use a set of
socket (like a pool but without server) and switch one of them if the socket is closed, while reconnecting in background .
Matsa59
It’s about connections from your server or to your server ?
If it’s from your server, GenServer is not a good solution (and registry will not help you). GenStage is not a big game changer (it will only help you to manage data flow).
But you can spawn process and monitor them from a GenServer. So the GenServer will be aware if a process is down or w.e (take a look at
spawn_link,spawn,monitor,processetc)smanza
It is to my server, as a client. In fact I used GenServer for the connection acceptor on the server side.
I did use GenServer for client with active: :once and noreoply while keeping the requesters during but as some point there are some bottleneck or mailbox overload (issue with unbounded queue).
So I did try multiple solutions semaphore, ets …
dom
Have you looked into how Ecto manages database connection pools? DBConnection — db_connection v2.10.1
Each connection is a process, but once you checkout a connection, you can use the socket directly, without going through the process that owns it. I’d be curious if this library work for your use case or if you have different constraints.
smanza
Indeed it uses ETS to store the socket and pass it to the client during a given time internal.
marcin
How about using N gen servers, and shard connections between them?
To find the processes pid, use a Register
rvirding
Have you tried using
{:active,:once}to limit when incoming messages are sent to your TCP process?smanza
Yes I did try with both client and server , but the issue I’m facing it is not from the TCP stack but from the clients wanting to send message and wait response from this socket. (Typically from the GenServer call and no GenServer info callback). For example to have hundred of parallel requests in the same time.
smanza
I tried this approach as well, but no better than ETS as socket holder.