apr

apr

I am noticing something strange on elixir 1.9.4 with erlang 22.2.

Erlang/OTP 22 [erts-10.6] [source] [64-bit] [smp:1:1] [ds:1:1:10] [async-threads:1] [hipe]

Interactive Elixir (1.9.4) - press Ctrl+C to exit (type h() ENTER for help)
iex(app@127.0.0.1)1>  :ets.new(:test_table, [:set, :named_table, :public, {:write_concurrency, true}, {:read_concurrency, true}])  
:test_table
iex(app@127.0.0.1)2>  :ets.info(:test_table)
[
  id: #Reference<0.3021804751.1718747137.69759>,
  read_concurrency: true,
  write_concurrency: false,
  compressed: false,
  memory: 301,
  owner: #PID<0.2177.7>,
  heir: :none,
  name: :test_table,
  size: 0,
  node: :"app@127.0.0.1",
  named_table: true,
  type: :set,
  keypos: 1,
  protection: :public
]

It appears that the write_concurrency property is not being respected. Does anybody know if this is a regression?

Showing Posts 1 to 9

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Worked here on 1.9.2 with erlang 22.22:

iex(1)> :ets.new(:test_table, [:set, :named_table, :public, {:write_concurrency, true}, {:read_concurrency, true}])  
:test_table
iex(2)> :ets.info(:test_table)
[
  id: #Reference<0.2454829455.2262695941.100902>,
  read_concurrency: true,
  write_concurrency: true,
  compressed: false,
  memory: 1325,
  owner: #PID<0.108.0>,
  heir: :none,
  name: :test_table,
  size: 0,
  node: :nonode@nohost,
  named_table: true,
  type: :set,
  keypos: 1,
  protection: :public
]
apr

apr OP

Very strange. I downloaded Erlang (esl_erlang=1:22.2.1-1) from the erlang-solutions package and the above error showed up. However it works with esl_erlang=1.22.1.8-1. Not sure why it’s working on your Erlang 22.2 and not mine.

garazdawi

garazdawi

Erlang Core Team

It is part of the OTP-16315 optimization where any locks around ETS tables are removed when using only 1 scheduler.

13
Post #3
dimitarvp

dimitarvp

You mean on single-core systems?

NobbZ

NobbZ

No, on systems where only one scheduler is started.

This is the default for single core machines, but you can also do that via runtime flags.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Ah fascinating, thanks for that! I have 16 schedulers running here so that explains it. Locks are indeed not needed on single-core/single-scheduler systems. :slight_smile:

apr

apr OP

Ah ok, thanks for the info. I did see that in the changelog, but didn’t connect the dots. Also, I am able to set read_concurrency to true. Why does the optimization still allow for that? Is it because locks for read concurrency are implemented differently?

garazdawi

garazdawi

Erlang Core Team

Well, technically the locks in the ETS table still use read_concurrency, there just aren’t any :wink:

It is just an oversight on my part that it is not removed. I’ll make a note of fixing that in a future release.

apr

apr OP

Gotcha, thanks for the detailed info :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews