Event Sourcing with commanded: How to handle side effects?

Hey there!

currently looking into event sourcing.

I stumbled over commanded and it looks pretty neat. Followed the documentation and set the example bank account commands/events.

Now I am at a step where I would like to transfer what I learned but I am certainly missing some understanding.

What I want to store and track are some documents (files on disk) and a graph with their relations. That means, at some point, I actually have to write the files and adjust the graph. But I do not get where or how I would do that in a way that things are not run repeatedly but are still replayable.

As an example, a document should have an owner, which is stored as an edge/connection in the graph. I do not know how/when/where I should create this edge.

Example 1: Create relation in execute

1. Dispatch command AssignOwner
  2. execute:
    1. Check if owner can be assigned, the document exists etc.
    2. Update the Graph by adding the relation
    3. Generate Event OwnerAssigned

Now … lets say I’d like to debug something locally that happened on the server, I would download the events and … the relation in the graph would be missing, because the event OwnerAssigned does not create it and the command AssignOwner is no longer present.

Example 2: Create relation in apply

2. execute:
    2. Generate Event OwnerAssigned
  3. In apply create the edge in the graph

I guess now, every time the events are aggregated, the edge would be created?

Example 3: Create additional commands from event

2. execute:
    2. Generate Event OwnerAssigned
  3. React to event OwnerAssigned and trigger additional commands that alter the graph.

How would this differ from Example 2?