klo
i have an app app1 which uses ExAws.Lambda.invoke/4. All is well and no compile warnings.
Another app say app2 uses app1 as a dependency. For some reason I get a compile warning: ExAws.Lambda.invoke/4 is undefined (module ExAws.Lambda is not available or is yet to be defined) lib/app2/client.ex:40: App2.Client.get_page/2.
Now in App1, i have aliased
alias ExAws.Lambda and calling the function as such:
function_name
|> Lambda.invoke(
config,
%{},
invocation_type: :request_response
)
|> ex_aws.request()
The warning comes from app2 on a fresh compile but not on subsequent compiles even when forced using the --force option. I also have to remove _build and deps for the warning to show.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
stefanchrobot
What’s happening in
lib/app2/client.ex:40: App2.Client.get_page/2? Ifapp2wants to useExAwsdirectly, it needs to add it to it’s own dependencies.fireproofsocks
It feels like forcing the “parent” app (app2 in this example) to specify this as a dependency is giving the parent too much knowledge about an implementation detail. Or is it expected that when an app depends on other smaller apps, the parent may need to explicitly list the dependencies of its dependencies?
stefanchrobot
The “parent” app needs to add the library as a dependency only if it explicitly calls it. Looking at the error, it seems that this is the case here.
klo
Thanks for the reply. i realized the app1 and app2 might be a bit confusing so lets call one app
fetch(the child app in this case) which usesex_aws_lambdaand “parent” app calledworker.Workerhasex_aws_lambdaalready inside of themix.exs.fetchalso hasex_aws_lambdainside ofmix.exsalso.Workeris also not callingex_aws_lambdadirectly inside of the code. We haveex_aws_lambdainside ofWorkerbecause inside offetchwe describeex_aws_lambdaas an optional dep which gives the “parent” app (worker) in this case to define the depI realized in my example i may have crossed the wires and confused myself.
fireproofsocks
The cause can be if the “child” app has any options in its
mix.exsthat qualify the dependency, e.g.might need to be just:
The
optionalparameter is one of those weird gotchas that in effect makes the child app say “hey parent – your call on what to do here.” In effect, it requires the parent app to be aware of what the child app is doing EVEN IF the parent isn’t directly calling that dependency.klo
yep! the solution was to remove the
optional: trueand all was fine. The warning was gone from the parent app.