wkirschbaum

wkirschbaum

Hi everyone. We released Spreadsheet a couple of months ago which we have been using internally for parsing xlsx files internally for our production systems. There are already a couple of xlsx parsing libraries, but none of them managed to handle the file sizes and data types we found in the wild. We also needed something which can parse some other spreadsheet formats. Luckily we found a rust library called calamine which handled 99% of our scenarios and created this library to essentially wrap it with rustler.

It would be good to know if this can be useful for someone else.

Here are some benchmarks we ran today:
https://github.com/floatpays/ex_spreadsheet/blob/main/benchmarks/RESULTS.md

Docs: Spreadsheet — spreadsheet v0.6.0
Source:

https://github.com/floatpays/ex_spreadsheet

Showing Posts 1 to 3

siraj-samsudeen

siraj-samsudeen

this would be lovely as we deal with a lot of XLSX and XLS files.

wingyplus

wingyplus

Nice! Do you have a plan to add support for writing a spreadsheet file?

wkirschbaum

wkirschbaum OP

There is another library for writer spreadsheets we were working on and is published, but think we want to change the api slightly. It’s called xlsx_writer, also a rust library. You can check it out: xlsx_writer | Hex . It just needs a little bit of work still imo. Comments are welcome.

We thought about combining the two into one, but decided against it in the end for various reasons.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews