fireproofsocks
I got a bit stuck trying to use ExAws.Dynamo.query/2 … I don’t follow the given example, and Amazon’s docs aren’t very helpful there (presumably, they make sense to you if you’re already drunk on their Kool Aid, but not so much if you’re not in their club).
Am I correct in inferring that a simple SELECT * FROM x is not possible in Dynamo? (Because, like GraphQL, you must specify the columns you want to fetch? What if want the first 3 items from the table?
alias ExAws.Dynamo
Dynamo.query("my_table", limit: 3)
|> ExAws.request()
results in an error:
{:error,
{"ValidationException",
"Either the KeyConditions or KeyConditionExpression parameter must be specified in the request."}}
I am able to run a query like the following:
Dynamo.query("my_table",
limit: 3,
expression_attribute_values: [id: "123"],
key_condition_expression: "id = :id")
|> ExAws.request()
But that’s no different than using the Dynamo.get_item/2 function…
What query is Amazon running when you log into the AWS dashboard and inspect the items in your table?
Thanks for any help!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
brunoripa
In DynamoDB you have both
queryandscanoperations.scangoes over the whole table, with obvious consequences (billing, op duration, direct relation with number of elements in the table), whilequeryrequires a partition key to work. In other words, thequeryis able to work on a “subset” of the elements in the table.Basically, if you need elements that are not identified by specific keys (read: you need everything), you have to use
scan; but be supercareful about the impact this can have.