zpeters
I’ve been recently trying to “level up” my Elixir code. In Python there is the idea of code being very “Pythonic”. In Elixir…not sure what you’d call that. What are some examples of code (well known, personal projects, etc) that you feel exhibit good Elixir habits and design.
Thank you in advance!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 9- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
leifericf
It sounds like you’re asking about what would be considered idiomatic in terms of coding style and how to organize an application; both the source files and the code within the source files.
Python has The Zen of Python, which includes:
I’m not aware of any similar set of aphorisms for Elixir, although I suppose the Python aphorisms could be successfully applied as general rules of thumb when coding in most languages.
I often hear Elixir developers talk about explicitness and readability. That seems to be important.
Elixir has a built-in code formatter which can help with structuring code “the correct way.” Certain frameworks and libraries, such as Phoenix, add a suggested folder- and file structure.
Other than that, I think pretty much anything goes.
I would suggest browsing through open source projects and looking at how they are structured at different levels. This might be helpful in building up an intuition for idiomatic Elixir.
zpeters
Do you have a favorite project that might be a good jumping off point?
blatyo
I would also mention credo, which covers style guide conventions that a formatter would be unable to.
As far as idiomatic projects, I would suggest looking at:
leifericf
I’m just a beginner myself, so my knowledge is rather limited. I’m sure a more experienced forum friend will drop in and provide some good references. I would appreciate that as well.
leifericf
Awesome! I wasn’t aware of credo until now. That will be useful.
AstonJ
Yep, it’s called idiomatic-elixir
I’ll add the tag to your thread for you
zpeters
heck yeah, thanks
zpeters
Rock on, Thank you
mandarvaze
credocan be incorporated in the IDE, so that it can point of “code smells” while you are writing the code. I’ve used it only with emacs/alchemist.el, I’m sure other integrations exists.Having said that - in my opinion (I’m a elixir-beginner myself) the tool will catch errors, but need not help you write “idiomatic elixir” (Looking at credo source code might, but some “seasoned” developer confirm that)