entone

entone

ExARI

https://github.com/CityBaseInc/ex_ari

An Elixir library for interfacing with Asterisk using the ARI protocol.

Be sure to check out the example application GitHub - CityBaseInc/ex_ari_example: Example application showing real world usage of the ex_ari library to control an Asterisks server · GitHub

The ARI protocol is a robust interface for controlling Asterisk and reacting to Asterisk events. It has been thoroughly tested with Asterisk versions 15 and 16.

ARI stands for Asterisk REST Interface. Through the REST interface it is possible to control just about every aspect of an Asterisk server. ARI also provides a Websocket interface for consuming events from the Asterisk Server. This library has full support for both the REST and Websocket protocols.

If you’re not to familiar with Asterisk, there’s an example repo that will get you up and running with a custom Asterisk IVR in a few minutes, GitHub - CityBaseInc/ex_ari_example: Example application showing real world usage of the ex_ari library to control an Asterisks server · GitHub .

The documentation is pretty thorough, but it definitely helps to understand Asterisk and ARI.

Check the docs here, ARI — ARI v0.1.2

and on hex.pm ex_ari | Hex

Brought to you by CityBase

Showing Posts 1 to 10

trarbr

trarbr

I haven’t even looked at the code yet but I know I am going to love this :heart:

trarbr

trarbr

So I wanted to try the ex_ari_example out last night, but I had some trouble with the Asterisk part. I haven’t played with Asterisk before so I’m not really sure what’s going wrong.

  1. The docker run ... command uses --net host, which doesn’t work on Mac unfortunately. So I ran it like this instead: docker run -p 8088:8088 -p 8089:8089 -p 5062:5062/tcp -p 5062:5062/udp -p 10000-10099:10000-10099/udp --name asterisk -v $PWD/asterisk_local_config/pjsip.conf:/etc/asterisk/pjsip.conf ex-ari-asterisk (I googled around a bit and guessed at the ports). After this, I could start the project with iex -S mix and it connected!
  2. However, I was unable to connect to Asterisk with Zoiper. On the accounts page it says Request Timeout (code: 408) and there is nothing in the Asterisk logs.
  3. I then tried running the Asterisk container inside an Ubuntu virtual machine, using --net host, and running it on a bridged network (VM had IP 192.168.33.10). I changed all the references to 127.0.0.1 to 192.168.33.10 in dev.env, so the Elixir project works fine. But Zoiper gives me a new error now. Instead of Request Timeout (code: 408) error, I now get Unauthorized (code: 401) and I see this in the Asterisk logs:
[Feb 14 07:29:30] NOTICE[37]: res_pjsip/pjsip_distributor.c:676 log_failed_request: Request 'REGISTER' from '<sip:ex_ari@192.168.33.10>' failed for '192.168.33.1:5063' (callid: _R51m7KNwSEepDSdZ6NrSA..) - No matching endpoint found
[Feb 14 07:29:30] NOTICE[37]: res_pjsip/pjsip_distributor.c:676 log_failed_request: Request 'REGISTER' from '<sip:ex_ari@192.168.33.10>' failed for '192.168.33.1:5063' (callid: _R51m7KNwSEepDSdZ6NrSA..) - Failed to authenticate
<--- Transmitting SIP response (505 bytes) to UDP:192.168.33.1:5063 --->
SIP/2.0 401 Unauthorized
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 192.168.33.1:5063;rport=5063;received=192.168.33.1;branch=z9hG4bK-524287-1---339444ffe79eb675
Call-ID: _R51m7KNwSEepDSdZ6NrSA..
From: <sip:ex_ari@192.168.33.10>;tag=5292835a
To: <sip:ex_ari@192.168.33.10>;tag=z9hG4bK-524287-1---339444ffe79eb675
CSeq: 2 REGISTER
WWW-Authenticate: Digest realm="ex_ari",nonce="1581665370/39d4d6299126e965bb54cf6033f8eca3",opaque="389d044662fe0ad8",algorithm=md5,qop="auth"
Server: Asterisk PBX 16.3.0
Content-Length:  0

I wonder if I am using the wrong username/password?

lawik

lawik

Nerves Core Team

Super curious about this stuff. I don’t have the time anytime soon to dive into Asterisk but damn if I don’t want to :slight_smile:

Considering the Erlang/OTP telecommunications heritage, are there previous solutions to work with Asterisk around, do you know?

Cool that you are doing and releasing this!

entone

entone OP

I run Linux so haven’t had the Mac issues. It looks like you got really really close! I should probably be explicit about the demo only working on Linux as of now.

I’ll dig in a bit more in a few hours. Asterisk is NOT simple to setup. If we get it working would be great if you could write-up some notes for Mac dev.

entone

entone OP

It looks like your port is incorrect in your Zoiper settings.

Under Settings -> Advanced -> Network

All the way at the bottom.

Make sure your SIP Options port is set to 5062 and the Open random port above 32000 is unchecked

You may need to update the AOR_IPS in dev.env to be 192.168.33.1:5062 as well.

But give it a try with just the port update in Zoiper first.

trarbr

trarbr

No worries. Thank you so much for putting this out. I’ll dig into it, and see if I can get it working. And if I do I’ll be happy to add contribute it back :slight_smile:

odix67

odix67

Just want to ask, if there is any work done this library, stands still for a few years, latest version from GitHub isn’t compilable (just little code inconsistencies) ?

entone

entone OP

I haven’t been working on it lately, and I see that Citybase archived it. I was able to get them to transfer ownership to my org before I left. You can find the “active” repo here, GitHub - entropealabs/ex_ari: An Elixir Library for interfacing with Asterisk the Open Source Communications Software using ARI · GitHub

PRs are welcome if you’d like to update it.

odix67

odix67

thx, that’s great! I’ve already forked it and found an issue related to the stasis state implementation, the :type attribute is mentioned in the json encode, but not available in the defstruct (part of stasis.ex):

 defmodule State do
    @moduledoc false
    @type t :: %__MODULE__{}

    @derive {Jason.Encoder, only: [:connected, :url, :status, :type]}
    defstruct [
      :connected,
      :url,
      :status,
      :channel_supervisor,
      reconnection_attempts: 0,
      app: %{}
    ]
  end

without going deep into ARI, do you have a quick solution for this issue ?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews