thanos

thanos

ExArrow – Apache Arrow IPC, Flight & ADBC Support for Elixir

I’m announcing the public release of ExArrow:

ExArrow provides a focused, BEAM-friendly implementation of:

  • Arrow IPC encoding / decoding
  • Arrow Flight client support
  • Arrow Database Connectivity (ADBC) integration
  • Explorer interoperability

The library concentrates on Arrow’s memory model and transport protocols.


Design Scope

ExArrow is not:

  • A dataframe library
  • A database driver
  • A replacement for Explorer or ADBC

It is the Arrow-native infrastructure layer.

It exposes Arrow in a way that integrates cleanly with existing Elixir data tooling.


Ecosystem Positioning

Layer Library
Dataframe computation Explorer
Database connectivity ADBC
Chunked storage ExZarr
Columnar transport & memory ExArrow

ExArrow complements these libraries by handling Arrow IPC, Flight, and columnar structures directly.


How It Fits Into Real Workflows

Typical architecture:

  1. ADBC retrieves Arrow data from a database
  2. ExArrow handles IPC or Flight transport
  3. Explorer consumes Arrow-backed dataframes
  4. ExZarr stores large chunked datasets when persistence is required

This layered model enables:

  • Zero-copy data interchange
  • Clean separation of responsibilities
  • Cross-language interoperability
  • Arrow-native services in Phoenix or distributed BEAM systems

Practical Impact

Apache Arrow has become a core interoperability layer in modern analytics systems.

ExArrow makes Arrow directly usable in Elixir without requiring external bridges or conversion layers.

The intent is to provide a stable foundation for columnar-native applications on the BEAM.


Contributions, benchmarks, and production feedback are welcome.

— Thanos Vassilakis


https://github.com/thanos/ex_arrow

Showing Posts 1 to 3

filmor

filmor

Could you please check the docs at resource_impl in rustler - Rust and implement the resources accordingly? The way you are doing it right now hooks into internal types and is needlessly complicated.

thanos

thanos OP

Thanks - will do - I’ll try and fix it in the next release, meanwhile… …I’ve release 0.3.0 - No breaking changes.

-–

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
bartblast
Hey folks, I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version: Curiosum as Main Spons...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews