michaelwa

michaelwa

My mix.exs dependencies (partial list):
{:ex_aws, “~> 2.1”},
{:ex_aws_dynamo, “~> 4.0”},
{:hackney, “~> 1.9”},
{:configparser_ex, “~> 4.0”}I created an Ecto.Schema:

I can create dyanmo tables, insert, update, and delete records just fine as long as the data records are derived from generic structs.

However, when I create an Ecto.Schema

defmodule IntandemWww.Users.User do
use Ecto.Schema
import Ecto.Changeset

@derive [ExAws.Dynamo.Encodable]

schema “users” do
field :name, :string, virtual: true
field :first_name, :string
field :middle_name, :string
field :last_name, :string
field :condition, :string
field :email, :string
field :phone, :string
field :status, :string
field :mentor, :string
field :enrollment_date, :string

timestamps()

end
end

Instance looks like this (note the “meta” attribute):

%Users.User{
meta: #Ecto.Schema.Metadata<:built, “users”>,
id: nil,
name: nil,
first_name: nil,
middle_name: nil,
last_name: nil,
condition: nil,
email: nil,
phone: nil,
status: nil,
mentor: nil,
enrollment_date: nil,
inserted_at: nil,
updated_at: nil
}

Then when I try to Encode it (with some actual data set though):

Dynamo.Encoder.encode!(new_user)

I get the following error:

** (Protocol.UndefinedError) protocol ExAws.Dynamo.Encodable not implemented for #Ecto.Schema.Metadata<:built, “users”> of type Ecto.Schema.Metadata (a struct). This protocol is implemented for the following type(s): Atom, BitString, Float, HashDict, Users.User, Integer, List, Map, MapSet, User
(ex_aws_dynamo 4.2.1) lib/ex_aws/dynamo/encodable.ex:1: ExAws.Dynamo.Encodable.impl_for!/1
(ex_aws_dynamo 4.2.1) lib/ex_aws/dynamo/encodable.ex:5: ExAws.Dynamo.Encodable.encode/2
(ex_aws_dynamo 4.2.1) lib/ex_aws/dynamo/encodable.ex:87: anonymous fn/2 in ExAws.Dynamo.Encodable.Map.do_encode/1
(stdlib 4.0.1) maps.erl:411: :maps.fold_1/3
(ex_aws_dynamo 4.2.1) lib/ex_aws/dynamo/encodable.ex:64: ExAws.Dynamo.Encodable.Map.encode/2

I looked through the encoder.ex in the ex_aws_dynamo dependency and the “meta” field is obviously not accounted for during encoding.

Is anyone using Ecto.Schema with Dynamo and if so how? Is this an oversight or were they not meant to ever work together?

I do not see any usage of the “options” that are passed to “encode” functions. Would a valid solution be to add “ignore_fields” as an array of fields to skip over?

Showing Posts 1 to 5

RudManusachi

RudManusachi

I never used those libs by myself, however, I see that ExAws.Dynamo.Encodable accepts option :only
https://github.com/ex-aws/ex_aws_dynamo/blob/2e523c9efb81e41c13da8b62859296b5b60d3991/lib/ex_aws/dynamo/encodable.ex#L38-L44

So perhaps something like:

@derive {ExAws.Dynamo.Encodable, only: [:name, :email, ...]}

schema "users" do
  field :name ...

would do the trick?

michaelwa

michaelwa OP

Thank you!! Thank you! This gets me moving forward again!!

This worked!

@derive {ExAws.Dynamo.Encodable, only: [:name, :first_name, :middle_name, :last_name, :condition, :email, :phone, :status, :mentor, :enrollment_date, :inserted_at, :updated_at]}

I note that right below:

def do_encode(map, only: only) do

That there is an “except”:

def do_encode(map, except: except) do

I tried the three variants below. They all compile but no happiness!

@derive {ExAws.Dynamo.Encodable, except: [Ecto.Schema.Metadata]}
@derive {ExAws.Dynamo.Encodable, except: [:__meta__]}
@derive {ExAws.Dynamo.Encodable, except: ["__meta__"]}

I also see in the Ecto.Schema module the following:

Module.put_attribute(__MODULE__, :ecto_struct_fields, {:__meta__, meta})

So I would have guessed the :atom version should have worked.

michaelwa

michaelwa OP

added note: the forum altered my second post. the “:meta” is surrounded by double underscores in my code.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

(Note: I edited your post to use ``` to preserve code-formatting, underscores etc)

The encode function accepts an except option, but that’s distinct from the code generated when you say @derive {ExAws.Dynamo.Encodable, etc etc etc}.

https://github.com/ex-aws/ex_aws_dynamo/blob/2e523c9efb81e41c13da8b62859296b5b60d3991/lib/ex_aws/dynamo/encodable.ex#L38-L52

What you want would be something like:

extractor =
  cond
    only = options[:only] ->
      quote(do: Map.take(struct, unquote(only)))

    except = options[:except] ->
      quote(do: :maps.without(unquote(except), struct))

    true ->
      quote(do: :maps.remove(:__struct__, struct))

and then you could say:

# NOTE TO FUTURE GOOGLERS: THIS LINE REQUIRES THE CHANGE ABOVE!
@derive {ExAws.Dynamo.Encodable, except: [:__struct__, :__meta__]}

This could make a good PR to ExAws.Dynamo, if you added some tests. Maybe :except should automatically add :__struct__ :thinking:

michaelwa

michaelwa OP

That is a good idea. I am kind of a newbie but i do want to contribute. I’ll look at it this weekend and see if I think can come up with the solution.

Once again, thank you for you support!!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews