xward

xward

Hello !

The goal is to have all exception that occurs and send it to an external service, like sentry.

I managed to catch them for:

  • exceptions when user is not connected
  • exceptions during mount, liveview handle_event, live_component handle_event and handle_params

But I can’t catch when:

  • exceptions during render

I could move all my heex into a render function, and manual catch for each render, but it would be very unpleasant.

I had hard time finding anything about good practice about it with liveview, I feel like I’m missing something obvious. My current approach is not good since it is very easy to forget something.

Anyone had the same trouble and found a graceful way of managing this ?

Have a nice day !

Showing Posts 1 to 3

lubien

lubien

I do use sentry and I do catch exceptions on render in prod by setting elixir sentry flag to catch logger exceptions.

https://github.com/getsentry/sentry-elixir

“Capture crashed process exceptions” iirc.

Hope this helps

xward

xward OP

That’s a fair point ! will give it a try. Thanks.

xward

xward OP

Some final feedbacks:

Tried using the “catch all” from sentry, but it catch way too much thing, (if a render fail, I have multiple Logger.error that occurs (one from phoenix’s GenServer, the one from raise, etc…).

The sentry became polluted very fast on any Logger.error.

My current solution: write my own little Logger backend :

defmodule MyApp.SentryBackend do
  @behaviour :gen_event

  def init(__MODULE__), do: {:ok, nil}

  def handle_call({:configure, _options}, state), do: {:ok, :ok, state}

  # only Logger errors with crash_reason
  def handle_event({level, _gl, {Logger, _msg, _ts, meta}}, state) when level in [:emergency, :alert, :critical, :error] do
    if meta[:crash_reason] do
      {reason, stacktrace} = meta[:crash_reason]
      Sentry.capture_message(inspect(reason), stacktrace: stacktrace)
    end

    {:ok, state}
  end

  def handle_event(_, state), do: {:ok, state}

  def terminate(_reason, _state), do: :ok
end

I allows my to further filter if I need to.

cheers !

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews