spacebat

spacebat

A number of times I’ve run into some error or other while developing in ash, the exception is printed along with a stack trace but it’s all library and framework stack frames. The message will be something like “Input Invalid” and “widget_id: has already been taken” but it’s not clear without a bunch of IO.inspect debugging what part of the application code is calling the library in a way that causes the error.

I know that Ash runs queries in a separate processes and that’s probably the stack trace that I’m seeing. The way that Elixir apps function, this is a common pattern. Is there a generally accepted approach to dealing with this other than manually instrumenting code with debugging output?

Showing Posts 1 to 6

spacebat

spacebat OP

Reading this back, I suspect that a custom Ash tracer that writes a stack trace to ETS before handing over to another process might be a step in the right direction for this kind of debugging. However I don’t know how it would be stitched back together when an exception is raised.

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

So there are a couple things we can do to help with this. The first one is providing more bread crumbs in our error messages. Additionally, you can try extending the backtrace depth when your app starts

:erlang.system_flag(:backtrace_depth, 100) in your application start.

  def start(_type, _args) do
    :erlang.system_flag(:backtrace_depth, 1000)


  ...
  end
spacebat

spacebat OP

Thanks for that suggestion - I found that the default is 8, and anything higher than 64 is capped at 64.

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Interesting. I just picked a high number just to be sure. Are you finding that the stacktrace is too deep to find your app code? I think we can actually do something about this, like when you call an action we can store the stacktrace at that point, and then add it to the end of returned stack traces, to ensure that there is always a stack frame from your app.

spacebat

spacebat OP

I haven’t seen a stack frame from application code in these cases, no. I figured it was because of that handover to the process that actually performs the query, so the stack trace is limited to that process. In the world of microservices, distributed tracing is used to aggregate a picture of what is happening, so I guess something like that would be handy for OTP if it doesn’t exist already.

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Interesting…I think we’ll have to address this on a case-by-case basis. Next time you have a bad stacktrace, post it here or as an issue and I’ll figure out how to make it not bad :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews