ckhrysze

ckhrysze

I’ve read in several places that try/rescue are to be generally avoided. However, I see no way around it in the following scenario (unless I’m just really missing something or discovered a bug, which I’m kinda hoping for…).

c is an invalid changeset

iex(4)> Repo.insert(c, [])
{:error, ...}
iex(5)> Repo.transaction(fn -> Repo.insert(c, []) end)
{:ok,
  {:error,
    ...}}
iex(6)> Repo.transaction(fn -> {:ok, _} = Repo.insert(c, []) end)
** (MatchError) no match of right hand side value: {:error, ...}

Ideally there will be additional things in the transaction…but they are based on the inserted records value…I don’t want to wrap everything in a transaction with a try/rescue as well, but I’m not sure how to avoid it.

Also, I’ve glanced at, but don’t quite understand, ecto multi; though I’m not sure that helps if the second db action relies on data from the first.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

It all just depends on what you’re trying to do. Because I’m not entirely sure what you’re trying to do, here are a few patterns you may find useful.

Try to insert inside a transaction, if it fails, do something else, but let the transaction succeed

Repo.transaction(fn ->
  case Repo.insert(changeset) do
    {:ok, record} -> handle_success(record)
    _ -> do_something_else()
  end
end)

Try to insert something, if it succeeds insert something else, and rollback everything if there’s a failure:

Repo.transaction(fn ->
  with {:ok, record} <- Repo.insert(foo),
    {:ok, other_record} <- Repo.insert(bar) do
      {record, other_record}
  else
    val -> Repo.rollback(val)
  end
end)
|> case do
  {:ok, {foo, bar}} ->
    IO.puts "Both foo and bar were created because the transaction succeedd"
  {:error, error} ->
    IO.puts "Neither foo nor bar were created because the transaction failed with error: #{inspect error}"
end
wojtekmach

wojtekmach

Hex Core Team

Also, if you want to use Multi, Ecto.Multi.merge can be used to access data from previous operations.

EDIT: actually, using Ecto.Multi.run might be easier too.

ckhrysze

ckhrysze OP

Thank you! I had tried to solve it with ‘with’, but I must have made another mistake in the process. Also, thank you @wojtekmach, I’ll look into multi.merge.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews