alexcastano

alexcastano

Hello,

I want to run a task every X minutes, but I’d like to be done only once. Because of this, I chose a solution using Genserver & Timeout, like this one: https://nesteryuk.info/2017/08/13/recurring-tasks-in-elixir-solution-2.html

I added this GenServer to my application tree with the name: {:global, __MODULE__}. This way avoid this task is executed each time in each cluster. After deploying, I saw a big problem. Only one node is alive because the other ones died trying to set up the periodic task which is impossible because is already registered in the alive node.

So I was thinking to check in the init function if the name has already been registered. In this case, it could return :ignore. But I see a big problem with this approach, if the whole node died unexpectly, the task won’t be executed again until a new node goes up. Not very resilient.

So, my main question is: if is there a simple way to achieve my goals or I should go with a more complex solution like using quantum?

PD: I like the GenServer solution because I can change the interval in runtime.

Thanks for your time

Showing Posts 1 to 2

dom

dom

This does what you were trying to do: Singleton - global, supervised singleton processes for Elixir

The key is to do the name registration after the process starts, and then branch on the result:

  • If the registration succeeds, act as the “master”, running the periodic tasks
  • If it fails, then act as “follower” and just monitor the master. Once the master dies, try to take its place.
alexcastano

alexcastano OP

I took a look to the code of the library. Very intelligent solution. Thank you :smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews