anuaralfetahe

anuaralfetahe

I would like to execute command on the host machine. I am using the port Module.
I know the file gets executed because the php script is creating log files. But i dont know how to receive the output back to elixir. I can see the data php script outputed only when i use the flush command.

How can i get the data my external programm outputs?

port = Port.open({:spawn, "php filename.php"}, [:binary])
flush()
{#Port<0.14>, {:data, "some data"}}

Showing Posts 1 to 5

vfsoraki

vfsoraki

If you just need to run the script and get output, use System.cmd/3. Examples are provided in function documentation, and some notices.

NobbZ

NobbZ

Just receive until you get a message telling you about the exit of the port.

Though as @vfsoraki said, using System.cmd/3 might be more what you actually want.

Alternatively you can use porcelain or rambo.

anuaralfetahe

anuaralfetahe OP

I have tryed System module and the porcelain library, they all work similary to the Port module and the same problem remains.
I can execute my external command. But for some reason I am not getting the output of the exectued script.
However if I use the flush() in elixir I can actualy see the output : {#Port<0.6>, {:data, "some data"}}
Is there any other way besides using the flush command to get the outputed data?

NobbZ

NobbZ

As I said, you can use receive to receive the ports messages manually.

Though I’m wondering why neither System.cmd/3 nor porcelain give you the output, perhaps your tool is only printing output after its stdin has been closed? Then this is exactly what rambo was made for, give it a try.

anuaralfetahe

anuaralfetahe OP

Thank you all for the answers. I can receive messages from the port with the following code:
receive do {_, {:data, msg}} -> IO.puts(msg) end

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews