lpvm

lpvm

I’ve built the following code (reverse not implemented) to solve the secret_handshake problem at exercism.io.

But the first test fails..

test Create a handshake for a number wink for 1 (SecretHandshakeTest)                                               
     secret_handshake_test.exs:13                                                                                        
     Assertion with == failed                                                                                            
     code:  assert SecretHandshake.commands(1) == ["wink"]                                                               
     left:  ["wink", nil]                                                                                                
     right: ["wink"]                                                                                                     
     stacktrace:                                                                                                         
       secret_handshake_test.exs:14: (test)     

There’s a ["wink", nil] instead of a ["wink"] for the 1 case, and I can’t figure out why this is happening.

defmodule SecretHandshake do
  @doc """
  Determine the actions of a secret handshake based on the binary
  representation of the given `code`.

  If the following bits are set, include the corresponding action in your list
  of commands, in order from lowest to highest.

  1 = wink
  10 = double blink
  100 = close your eyes
  1000 = jump

  10000 = Reverse the order of the operations in the secret handshake
  """
  @spec commands(code :: integer) :: list(String.t())
  def commands(code) do
    in_binary = decimalToBinary code
    to_reverse = true and rem(code, 10000)
    commands = []

    commands = if div(in_binary, 1000) == 1, do: [getAction(1000)] ++ commands
    commands = if div(in_binary, 100) == 1, do: [getAction(100)] ++ commands
    commands = if div(in_binary, 10) == 1, do: [getAction(10)] ++ commands
    commands = if rem(in_binary, 2) == 1, do: [getAction(1)] ++ commands
  end

  defp getAction(dec) do
    case dec do
      1 -> "wink"
      10 -> "double blink"
      100 -> "close your eyes"
      1000 -> "jump"
    end
  end

  defp decimalToBinary(dec) do
    dec
    |> Integer.to_string(2)
    |> String.to_integer
  end
end

Showing Posts 1 to 2

NobbZ

NobbZ

Each of this lines will return nil from its implicit else branch.

I am not sure though, why your result is ["wink", nil], it should be ["wink" | nil].

You should try to do some other approach by creating a list of tuples, where the first element is the bit that has to be set, the other is the word to put in the command. Then you simply fold over that list.

Something like this:

[{0, "wink"}, {1, "double blink"}, {2, "close your eyes"}, {3, "jump"}]
|> Enum.fold([], fn {bit, cmd}, acc ->
  if bit_set?(code, bit), do: [cmd | acc], else: acc
end)
|> Enum.reverse()

bit_set?/2 is easily implementable using the Bitwise module.

lpvm

lpvm OP

You’re right @NobbZ, it’s ["wink" | nil].

Since the input is in decimal, converted the commands’ codes to that scale as well.
Your solution is generalist and functional, mine not so much. Will going to try yours now.
Thanks.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews