bettio
I am pleased to announce an initial release ExJSONPath.
ExJsonPath is an Elixir library which allows to query maps (JSON objects) and lists (JSON arrays), using JSONPath expressions.
We decided to implement ExJSONPath while working on Astarte Flow, since we wanted to allow users to query arbitrary JSON objects from their pipelines code.
ExJsonPath allows to query deserialized JSON files [1] using expressions similar to the following:
ExJsonPath.eval(store, "$.store.book[?(@.price > 20)].title")
{:ok, ["The Lord of the Rings"]}
ExJsonPath is not tied to JSON at all, the same kind of JSONPath expression can be used on any Elixir map or list.
Right now, the only hard requirement is that keys must be strings.
Hope you’ll find this useful ![]()
Let me know if you have any request/question/feedback.
[1]:
{ "store": {
"book": [
{ "category": "reference",
"author": "Nigel Rees",
"title": "Sayings of the Century",
"price": 8.95
},
{ "category": "fiction",
"author": "J. R. R. Tolkien",
"title": "The Lord of the Rings",
"isbn": "0-395-19395-8",
"price": 22.99
}
],
"bicycle": {
"color": "red",
"price": 19.95
}
}
}
Trending in Announcing
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents
See this post about renaming the package.
Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components.
https://github.com/woylie/doggo
Features
Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
Hi everyone,
I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library.
Current functionality
In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
Following on from my CLDR lbraries I started work on Unicode transforms. But like everything related to CLDR there is a lot of yak-shavin...
New
Other Trending Topics
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming











Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
Looks interesting. I took a quick look at the code and it seems you’re recursing the structure manually. I’m wondering if it would make sense to convert to an
Accesspattern instead, so it could be used withget_in,put_in, … all by implementing one transformation from the JSONPath format to a list ofAccessaccessors.bettio
Thanks for the feedback
I’ll try to focus on your advice as soon as I finished writing more tests. I need to write them since JSONPath is not “strongly specified” so I want to ensure a consistent (and stable) behaviour across different library releases.
gregvaughn
Is JSONPath widely used in general? I first encountered it in some other libraries as I was doing some background search before writing my first library, path_express, which more closely adheres to
Kernel.get_in/2. I’ve used xpath before and I assume some equivalent ideas. I’m on the fence on whether my library should be more or less JSON focused instead ofget_infocused. I hope your insight can help in my decisions.bettio
I know there are several software around that use it (e.g. kubectl).
The syntax is quite well known and there are tutorials, several tools (that allows users to test their expressions) and libraries in several languages.
So it was my first choice since it doesn’t require people to learn a new syntax.
I think you should focus your library to a specific use-case, my use-case was to allow people to write JSON templates and pipelines for arbitrary JSON inputs. As a side effect several kind of maps and lists are now supported by my JSONPath library.
I think I will add support to protocols and funs so I can extend my library to use-cases outside JSON.
koolquark
Hi,
Is there any support for regex matching in filter expressions ?