azmaveth
ExLLM - Multi-provider LLM library (inspired by Python’s LiteLLM)
I started this a couple weeks ago using Claude Code. I am a relatively experienced developer, but a newbie with Elixir and unfamiliar with standard conventions. This has not been fully reviewed line-by-line, but it’s in a mostly usable state so I thought I’d share it.
I have used this alongside my other new library - ExMCP (yeah, I’m terrible at naming) to build out a chat client similar to Block’s Goose. It’s been tested fairly extensively with Anthropic, OpenAI, and Ollama, but less with the others.
Feature List:
- Unified API: Single interface for multiple LLM providers
- Streaming Support: Real-time streaming responses with error recovery
- Cost Tracking: Automatic cost calculation for all API calls (if cost data is available)
- Token Estimation: Heuristic-based token counting for cost prediction
- Context Management: Automatic message truncation to fit model context windows
- Session Management: Built-in conversation state tracking and persistence
- Structured Outputs: Schema validation and retries via Instructor integration
- Function Calling: Unified interface for tool use across providers
- Model Discovery: Query and compare model capabilities across providers
- Capability Normalization: Automatic normalization of provider-specific feature names
- Error Recovery: Automatic retry with exponential backoff and stream resumption
- Mock Testing: Built-in mock adapter for testing without API calls (use with Response Caching)
- Response Caching: Cache real provider responses for offline testing and cost reduction
- Type Safety: Comprehensive typespecs and structured data
- Configurable: Flexible configuration system with multiple providers
- Extensible: Easy to add new LLM providers via adapter pattern
Currently supported providers:
- Anthropic
- OpenAI
- Gemini
- OpenRouter
- Groq
- xAI/Grok
Local providers:
- Ollama
- LM Studio
- Bumblebee
Please give feedback!
Trending in Announcing
The repo is at GitHub - cyberchitta/openai_ex: Community maintained Elixir library for OpenAI API · GitHub.
Docs are at OpenaiEx User Gu...
New
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents
See this post about renaming the package.
Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components.
https://github.com/woylie/doggo
Features
Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
Castle is a package I put together to assist with building Elixir releases capable of being live-upgraded via the ‘official’ release hand...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Other Trending Topics
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
What IDE or editor are you using for Elixir development?
Personally, I use Zed, and I really like it, but sometimes I wish there were a ...
New
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #ai
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #blog-post
- #elixirconf-us
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
gtcode
This is great, because DSPy uses LiteLLM. Will switch out to using this lib for the LM adapter in DSPEx.
The Gemini integration looks comprehensive:
https://github.com/azmaveth/ex_llm/tree/master/test/ex_llm/adapters/gemini