mudasobwa

mudasobwa

Creator of Cure

I’ve been heavily working with macros for more than 10 years already and I always used kinda ad-hoc code to expand/debug/test those when in trouble.

So yeah, it’s better to get a reputation of a slowpoke rather than to spend another 10 years fighting the ghosts.

Welcome ExPanda library that expands macros all the turtles down (short of defmodule and def/defp/defmacro/defmacrop structural forms.)

It’s time to take a look at what use GenServer does actually become in your code:

iex|🌢|1 ▶ "defmodule M, do: use GenServer"
          |> ExPanda.expand_to_string()
          |> elem(1)
          |> IO.puts() 

defmodule M do
  require GenServer
  opts = []
  @behaviour GenServer
  case :erlang.not(Module.has_attribute?(M, :doc)) do
    false ->
      nil

    true ->
      Module.__put_attribute__(
        M,
        :doc,
        {0,
         "Returns a specification to start this module under a supervisor.\n\nSee `Supervisor`.\n"},
        nil,
        []
      )
  end

  def child_spec(init_arg) do
    default = %{id: M, start: {M, :start_link, [init_arg]}}
    Supervisor.child_spec(default, unquote(Macro.escape(opts)))
  end

  defoverridable child_spec: 1
  @before_compile GenServer
  @doc false
  def handle_call(msg, _from, state) do
    proc =
      case Process.info(:erlang.self(), :registered_name) do
        {_, []} -> :erlang.self()
        {_, name} -> name
      end

    case :erlang.phash2(1, 1) do
      0 ->
        :erlang.error(
          RuntimeError.exception(
            <<"attempted to call GenServer ", String.Chars.to_string(inspect(proc))::binary,
              " but no handle_call/3 clause was provided">>
          ),
          :none,
          error_info: %{module: Exception}
        )

      1 ->
        {:stop, {:bad_call, msg}, state}
    end
  end

  @doc false
  def handle_info(msg, state) do
    proc =
      case Process.info(:erlang.self(), :registered_name) do
        {_, []} -> :erlang.self()
        {_, name} -> name
      end

    :logger.error(
      %{label: {GenServer, :no_handle_info}, report: %{module: M, message: msg, name: proc}},
      %{
        domain: [:otp, :elixir],
        error_logger: %{tag: :error_msg},
        report_cb: &:erlang./(GenServer.format_report(), 1)
      }
    )

    {:noreply, state}
  end

  @doc false
  def handle_cast(msg, state) do
    proc =
      case Process.info(:erlang.self(), :registered_name) do
        {_, []} -> :erlang.self()
        {_, name} -> name
      end

    case :erlang.phash2(1, 1) do
      0 ->
        :erlang.error(
          RuntimeError.exception(
            <<"attempted to cast GenServer ", String.Chars.to_string(inspect(proc))::binary,
              " but no handle_cast/2 clause was provided">>
          ),
          :none,
          error_info: %{module: Exception}
        )

      1 ->
        {:stop, {:bad_cast, msg}, state}
    end
  end

  @doc false
  def terminate(_reason, _state) do
    :ok
  end

  @doc false
  def code_change(_old, state, _extra) do
    {:ok, state}
  end

  defoverridable code_change: 3, terminate: 2, handle_info: 2, handle_cast: 2, handle_call: 3
end

https://github.com/am-kantox/ex_panda

Enjoy!

Showing Posts 5 to 1

dmitrykleymenov

dmitrykleymenov

Wow, thanks for sharing. It could be pretty helpful

mudasobwa

mudasobwa OP

Creator of Cure

I have plans to ping ExpertLSP team members after I have it tested thoroughly with my own Ragex.

mudasobwa

mudasobwa OP

Creator of Cure

The version 1.0 is to roll out with a motto “chewing bamboo shoots to the roots.”

nulltree

nulltree

10/10 name.

cmo

cmo

Nice. I’ve been patiently waiting years for someone to integrate this sort of thing into the LSP for me.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Announcing Top

type1fool
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents See this post about renaming the package. Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
woylie
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components. https://github.com/woylie/doggo Features Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
ahamez
Hi everyone, I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
kip
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library. Current functionality In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
kip
Following on from my CLDR lbraries I started work on Unicode transforms. But like everything related to CLDR there is a lot of yak-shavin...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
type1fool
I just stumbled on a newly redesigned elixir-lang.org. :tada: It looks like @Software_Mansion did the work, and I think it is generally a...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews