When we first started using user titles we said we’d review the situation before expanding them, well, that review is up!
Originally we added user titles where we thought it would be useful for members or readers of the forum to have some background info about the user. So we covered:
- Creators and core team members of Elixir, Phoenix, Nerves and Erlang.
- Authors of Elixir or Erlang books published by a professional publisher such as PragProg, Manning, O’Reilly.
- Creators or core team members of libraries or tools that are frequently posted about on the forum (such as deployment tools).
Now that we can add badges to avatars (the little logos that appear for the core teams of Elixir, Phoenix, Nerves and Erlang) we can more easily expand the use of these user titles - so, here’s what we’re proposing to extend them to:
- Creators or core team members of any library or tool that is in the top 300 downloaded packages on Hex
- Creators or core team members of any library or tool that has over 100 stars on Github
What do you think, does this sound fair? Useful?
In the meantime, if anyone meets the above criteria and would like your title added, please PM me to let me know - subject to there being no major objections about the plan, we’ll proceed to add them soon
With regards to everyone else, and for a way to easily reflect a user’s experience and knowledge, we will be expanding our user profile system too… but we’ll detail that in a separate thread.