josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Does anyone have experience with Cirrus CI?

Currently we are using both AppVeyor (Windows) and Travis-CI (Ubuntu) in Elixir plus we are looking to add FreeBSD. I would love if we could unify those and Cirrus-CI seems like a good fit.

Thoughts?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

tristan

tristan

Rebar3 Core Team

Nice. I haven’t, but I was just looking for a free macos (I prefer CircleCI but they charge for macos) offering so we could ditch Travis for at least relx (been having a number of annoying failures bc of travis) and probably rebar3 too, though less important. I’ll be giving this a try soon.

fedor

fedor

Disclaimer: I’m working on Cirrus CI

Just added an Elixir example using the official Docker images to documentation: https://cirrus-ci.org/examples/#elixir

Feel free to try it out and report any issues. :raised_hands:

tristan

tristan

Rebar3 Core Team

Cool. And mix_cache: is just “sugar” for:

cache:
  name: mix
  ...

So I can do rebar3_cache:?

fedor

fedor

Exactly. Just syntactic sugar for naming.

tristan

tristan

Rebar3 Core Team

Works great, thanks!

Just using the community cloud but it seems pretty fast and configuration is simple.

build_task:
  container:
    image: circleci/erlang:21
  rebar3_cache:
    folder: _build
    fingerprint_script: cat rebar.lock
    populate_script: rebar3 compile --deps_only

test_task:
  container:
    image: circleci/erlang:21
  depends_on:
    - build
  rebar3_cache:
    folder: _build
    fingerprint_script: cat rebar.lock
  test_script: rebar3 ct
  always:
    junit_artifacts:
      path: "_build/test/logs/ct_run.*/junit_report.xml"

osx_check_task:
  osx_instance:
    image: mojave-base
  install_script: brew install erlang
  test_script: |
    wget https://s3.amazonaws.com/rebar3/rebar3
    chmod +x rebar3
    ./rebar3 ct

Only issue, which I’ll properly submit once I verify my theory, is the cache seems to fail if there are symlinks in the directory being cached. So I had to split out the build task that caches from the test run, otherwise it tries to cache after everything has run and complains, Failed to calculate hash of /tmp/cirrus-ci-build/_build! read /tmp/cirrus-ci-build/_build/default/lib/relx/include: is a directorySkipping uploading of /tmp/cirrus-ci-build/_build! – _build/default/lib/relx/include is a symlink.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I’m curious how fast is Cirrus. I’m very unhappy with our current CI, takes at least 3 full minutes to do a build (with cached dependencies).

@fedor Do you have an average time for such a normal Phoenix app finishes a build?

fedor

fedor

Don’t have such specific numbers but would love to compare. Are you looking it for an OSS project? Would love to collaborate to get such data.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Not really, no. And most are pretty basic anyway so they can’t serve as benchmarks.

I’ll review your free tier (if you have any?) and ask further questions.

But what’s been a weak point of many CI services so far has been universally these two points:

  • Slow compilation. (Weak CPUs, slow disks, small amounts of RAM, all of these could be contributing)
  • No cached dependencies. This has been a major PITA in at least 3 services I tried in the last year.
fedor

fedor

Go ahead and feel free to ping me (@fkorotkov) on GitHub PRs! Cirrus is free for OSS and you can use up to 8 CPUs / 24G of RAM of memory for free with some generous concurrency limits. Paid plan with per-second billing can use up to 30 CPUs/ 90G of memory with no concurrency limits.

Cirrus also runs Google Cloud which shows awesome performance stability and I/O throughput (both internet and disk).

Caching is also inspired by how modern build systems do caching with an option to use an HTTP cache if your build system supports it.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Appreciate the openness and responsiveness! Thank you so much. :041:

EDIT: Do you guys have a calculator so we can try and get a rough idea how much would we end up paying monthly?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews