I wanted to reach out to the community and see who is using design patterns and what are the ones that are relevant to FP and Elixir, as well as an overall discussion on the validity and applicability of patterns.
Now, let me start with a couple of statements that might be valuable (I might be wrong; feel free to comment):
- Design patterns are not recipes, meaning their value is not to be implemented to the letter
- Most Creational and Structural patterns have little to no use in the functional programming world.
- For FP and Elixir, the most valuable and applicable patterns are going to be architectural and behavioral
Within that realm, there are a few patterns that I have identified that seem useful:
- Circuit Breaker for managing calls to external services
- Event Sourcing for situations that require a highly reliable audit log; CQRS is also relevant
Curious what else is being used and tried for example Sagas? Proxy? Strategy? Maybe some unique to Functional languages?