jackalcooper

jackalcooper

I added a gulp watcher in config, but the watcher process is still there after I shut down phoenix.

Showing Posts 1 to 10

jackalcooper

jackalcooper OP

In other word, how does phoenix kill brunch watcher when it’s shut down? I searched “node” or “brunch” in src but didn’t find anything seems relevant.

NobbZ

NobbZ

In theory those get started as a “port” and should die alltogether with their owning process.

Are you really shure, that the remaining process you see (I assume you used ps or similiar tooling) got created by the phoenix instance you just shut down?

jackalcooper

jackalcooper OP

Yes, I double checked. My friend told me that it’s because Gulp process ignore the EOF signal sent by Erlang when shutting down Phoenix so that’s why I guess.

dsissitka

dsissitka

My Node is rusty. I wonder if something like this would work:

process.stdin.on('close', function() {
    process.exit(0);
});
jackalcooper

jackalcooper OP

Thanks. This approach did work.

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

Yup, this is exactly what we used in Brunch (we sent a pull request for the --stdin option).

lightcap

lightcap

This approach didn’t seem to work for me in in Gulp.

Here’s the relevant code from gulpfile.js:

gulp.task('watch', ['scss', 'js', 'js-vendor', 'fonts', 'static'], function () {
  gulp.watch('css/**/*.scss', ['scss']);
  gulp.watch(Paths.JS, ['js']);
  process.stdin.on('close', function () {
    console.log('Exiting watcher');
    process.exit(0);
  });
}

I’ve also tried:

process.stdin.on('end')

But it doesn’t work either.

Any other thoughts?

bultas

bultas

you have to use older approach with process.stdin.resume();

const fs = require("fs");
const path = require("path");

const filePath = path.resolve(__dirname, "hello.txt");

process.stdin.on("end", () => {
  fs.writeFileSync(filePath, `Hello`);
});

process.stdin.resume();
neurodynamic

neurodynamic

Is there a fresh link for this wrapper script? I’m having this issue and this link now gives to a 404.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews