joshio1

joshio1

Here is the use case that I am trying to solve:

  • I have a standard test module which has a setup_all method and a describe block.
  • Now, I make an API call in the setup_all method and set an array of values in the context.
  • I would like to iterate over these array of values and generate test cases for every value in the array.

Is there any way to achieve this?

Hence, ideally, I would like to receive the “context” in the describe macro and then “map” the array of values over the test macro. However, the describe block does not have access to the context which I have set in the setup_all function.

Or else, I do have a context (array of values) inside the test. Then, I should be able to dynamically iterate over this array of values and define test cases dynamically inside this test. Thus, it would be nested test cases.

The problem I am trying to solve is to avoid defining so many test cases. This is because the array of values will be close to 30 and it will just have the same “exact” code.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

michallepicki

michallepicki

Not sure if it will always work, but you could try moving your API call outside of any setup block, and assign the array of values to a module attribute. Then for value <- @values do the test definition. Test name may need to be unique. Because test files are .exs the api call would run when you run the tests I think.

But I would probably use one test, eventually you could compute what would be expected vs actual for all test inputs and then compare a big map to have always a complete diff in the assertion

hauleth

hauleth

There is no such feature in ExUnit, I am a trying to write something like that, but for now what you can do is:

for value <- YourModule.generate_test_data() do
  test "check if #{value} is frindricated" do
    assert frindricated?(unquote(value))
  end
end

Alternatively you can do:

setup_all do
  {:ok, values: YourModule.generate_test_data()}
end

test "check if all values are frindricated", %{values: values} do
  assert Enum.all?(values, &frindricated?/1)
end

Or you can use test tags for that:

@tag values: YourModule.generate_test_data()
test "check if all values are frindricated", %{values: values} do
  assert Enum.all?(values, &frindricated?/1)
end
12
Post #2
michallepicki

michallepicki

yup, basically what I suggested but these examples look like they will compile :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews