rakeshtripathy

rakeshtripathy

I’m testing the test_controller and I’m getting this error:

** (FunctionClauseError) no function clause matching in Ecto.Changeset.cast/4
when attempting to create or update an object.

The following arguments were given to Ecto.Changeset.cast/4:

     # 1
     MyTest.Whatwasit.Version
 
     # 2
     %{action: "update", item_id: 730, item_type: "AdminUser", item_user_id: nil, object: %{admin_author_id: nil, availability_flag: false, email: "weren1930-1@gmail.com", failed_log_in_attempts: 0, full_name: "Petra fhghgf", groups: nil, id: 730, inserted_at: ~N[2023-06-09 10:46:47.691601], last_locked_at: nil, last_log_in_at: nil, last_log_in_remote_ip: nil, last_password_reset_at: nil, last_seen_at: nil, log_in_count: 0, reset_password_sent_at: nil, reset_password_token: nil, roles: ["admin"], updated_at: ~N[2023-06-09 10:46:47.692937], uuid: "df6789e9-f5a0-9876-80c4-0bgb72d777d2"}, whodoneit_admin_id: 729, whodoneit_admin_name: "test acc", whodoneit_id: nil, whodoneit_name: nil}
 
     # 3
     [:item_type, :item_id, :item_user_id, :object, :action, :whodoneit_id, :whodoneit_name, :whodoneit_admin_id, :whodoneit_admin_name]
 
     # 4
     []
 
 Attempted function clauses (showing 5 out of 5):
 
     def cast(_data, %{__struct__: _} = params, _permitted, _opts)
     def cast({data, types}, params, permitted, opts) when is_map(data)
     def cast(%Ecto.Changeset{types: nil}, _params, _permitted, _opts)
     def cast(%Ecto.Changeset{changes: changes, data: data, types: types, empty_values: empty_values} =
   changeset, params, permitted, opts)
     def cast(%{__struct__: module} = data, params, permitted, opts)
 
 code: patch(
 stacktrace:
   (ecto 3.3.4) Ecto.Changeset.cast/4
   (my_test 4.0.0) lib/my_test/shared/whatwasit_version.ex:42: MyTest.Whatwasit.Version.module_changeset/2
   (my_test 4.0.0) lib/my_test/shared/whatwasit_version.ex:117: MyTest.Whatwasit.Version.insert_version/3
   (ecto 3.3.4) lib/ecto/repo/schema.ex:528: anonymous fn/2 in Ecto.Repo.Schema.run_prepare/2
   (elixir 1.13.4) lib/enum.ex:2396: Enum."-reduce/3-lists^foldl/2-0-"/3
   (ecto 3.3.4) lib/ecto/repo/schema.ex:326: anonymous fn/15 in Ecto.Repo.Schema.do_update/4
   (ecto 3.3.4) lib/ecto/repo/schema.ex:919: anonymous fn/3 in Ecto.Repo.Schema.wrap_in_transaction/6
   (ecto_sql 3.3.3) lib/ecto/adapters/sql.ex:886: anonymous fn/3 in Ecto.Adapters.SQL.checkout_or_transaction/4
   (db_connection 2.2.1) lib/db_connection.ex:1427: DBConnection.run_transaction/4
   (my_test 4.0.0) lib/my_test_web/controllers/admin/test_controller.ex:97: MyTestWeb.Admin.TestController.update/3
   (my_test 4.0.0) lib/my_test_web/controllers/admin/test_controller.ex:1: MyTestWeb.Admin.TestController.action/2
   (my_test 4.0.0) lib/my_test_web/controllers/admin/test_controller.ex:1: MyTestWeb.Admin.TestController.phoenix_controller_pipeline/2
   (phoenix 1.5.14) lib/phoenix/router.ex:352: Phoenix.Router.__call__/2
   (my_test 4.0.0) lib/my_test_web/endpoint.ex:1: MyTestWeb.Endpoint.plug_builder_call/2
   (my_test 4.0.0) lib/my_test_web/endpoint.ex:1: MyTestWeb.Endpoint.call/2
   (phoenix 1.5.14) lib/phoenix/test/conn_test.ex:225: Phoenix.ConnTest.dispatch/5
   test/my_test_web/controllers/admin/test_controller_test.exs:72: (test)

test_controller.ex

def update(conn, %{“admin_user” => admin_params}, current_admin) do
changeset =
AdminUser.common_changeset(conn.assigns.admin_user, admin_params, whodoneit(current_admin))

case Repo.update(changeset) do
  {:ok, _admin} ->
    msg = gettext("user updated successfully")

    conn
    |> put_flash(:success, msg)
    |> redirect(to: Routes.test_user_path(conn, :index))

  {:error, changeset} ->
    render(conn, "edit.html", changeset: changeset)
end

end

test_controller_test.ex

test “Cannot add ‘root’ role to admin-user”, %{auth_conn: conn} do
admin = insert(:admin_user)

  patch(
    conn,
    Routes.test_user_path(conn, :update, admin),
    %{admin_user: %{roles: ~w[root admin]}}
  )
  
end

end

It seems like Elixir is matching a Ecto.Changeset.cast/3 into a Ecto.Changeset.cast/4 adding an empty array as the 4th parameter, and the error is throwing in Repo.update(changeset).

Note: This exunit test was running earlier, but after upgrading the elixir version to 1.13.4 and phoenix version to 1.5.14 similar unit tests are failing.

Please help to resolve this error.

Thanks,
Rakesh

Showing Posts 1 to 9

ruslandoga

ruslandoga

:waving_hand:

Could you please share your AdminUser.common_changeset and whodoneit implementations?

But judging just by the error, you are using an atom MyTest.Whatwasit.Version instead of a struct %MyTest.Whatwasit.Version{} for the first argument in Ecto.Changeset.cast and it causes the match error.

rakeshtripathy

rakeshtripathy OP

Thank you @ruslandoga, Below are the details

In AdminUser.common_changeset :

def common_changeset(struct), do: common_changeset(struct, %{})

def common_changeset(struct, params) when is_map(params),
    do: common_changeset(struct, params, [])

def common_changeset(struct, opts) when is_list(opts), do: common_changeset(struct, %{}, opts)   
	   
def common_changeset(struct, params, opts) do
    max_length = Application.get_env(:my_test, :max_attribute_length) || 255
   
    struct
    |> email_changeset(params)
    |> cast(params, ~w[full_name roles groups availability_flag]a)
    |> validate_required(:full_name)
    |> validate_length(:full_name, max: max_length)
    |> put_roles
    |> put_groups
    |> prepare_version(opts)
end

whodoneit implementations :

def whodoneit(%User{} = user) do
    name =
      if user.first_name || user.last_name do
        [user.first_name, user.last_name]
        |> Enum.reject(&is_nil/1)
        |> Enum.join(" ")
      else
        user.email
      end

    [whodoneit: user, whodoneit_name: name]
  end

  def whodoneit(%AdminUser{} = admin) do
    [whodoneit_admin: admin, whodoneit_admin_name: admin.full_name]
  end

  def whodoneit(_), do: []
  def whodoneit, do: []

Also if I do inspect of Changeset, I am getting below result.

#Ecto.Changeset<
  action: nil,
  changes: %{roles: ["administrator"]},
  errors: [],
  data: #MyTest.AdminUser<>,
  valid?: true
>

Here Changeset valid is true, and I suspect issue is in Repo.update(changeset),
Please help to fix this issue.

jswanner

jswanner

It looks like your problem is with

It’s making another call to Ecto.Changeset.cast/4, but instead of passing a struct or changeset as the first argument, it’s passing the atom MyTest.Whatwasit.Version.

rakeshtripathy

rakeshtripathy OP

Hi @jswanner Could you please suggest the change in the above code to fix this.

jswanner

jswanner

The problem doesn’t look to be in the code you posted thus far. What does the code of MyTest.Whatwasit.Version look like?

rakeshtripathy

rakeshtripathy OP

Hi @jswanner , Below is the code for whatwasit_version.ex

def prepare_version(changeset, opts \\ []) do
    changeset
    |> Ecto.Changeset.prepare_changes(fn
      %{action: :update} = changeset ->
        insert_version(changeset, "update", opts)

      %{action: :delete} = changeset ->
        insert_version(changeset, "delete", opts)

      changeset ->
        changeset
    end)
  end

  
  def insert_version(changeset, action, opts) do
    {whodoneit_id, name} = get_whodoneit_name_and_id(opts)
    {whodoneit_admin_id, admin_name} = get_whodoneit_admin_name_and_id(opts)

    version_changeset(changeset, whodoneit_id, name, whodoneit_admin_id, admin_name, action)
    |> changeset.repo.insert!

    changeset
  end
  
  
  def version_changeset(struct, whodoneit_id, name, whodoneit_admin_id, admin_name, action) do
    version_module = @version_module

    model =
      case struct do
        %{data: data} -> data
        model -> model
      end

    type = item_type(model)

    user_id =
      cond do
        type == "User" -> model.id
        Map.has_key?(model, :user_id) -> Map.get(model, :user_id)
        true -> nil
      end

    version_module.module_changeset(version_module, %{
      item_type: type,
      item_id: model.id,
      item_user_id: user_id,
      object: model,
      action: "#{action}",
      whodoneit_id: whodoneit_id,
      whodoneit_name: name,
      whodoneit_admin_id: whodoneit_admin_id,
      whodoneit_admin_name: admin_name
    })
  end
jswanner

jswanner

Going back to your original stack trace:

We can see the error is raised when calling Ecto.Changeset.cast/4, which is called from MyTest.Whatwasit.Version.module_changeset/2 (not provided), which is called by MyTest.Whatwasit.Version.insert_version/3 (provided).

We can see the call to MyTest.Whatwasit.Version.module_changeset/2, the first argument is an atom (version_module):

We know from your original post that atom is being passed as the first argument to cast/4, but it should be a struct or a changeset. What we don’t yet know is where the struct is intended to be created from that atom.

If that module_changeset/2 function has code to create a struct in it, then you’ll need to figure out why it’s not happening. Otherwise, you could change the code in the version_changeset function to create a struct. Such as:

version_module.module_changeset(
  struct!(version_module),
  %{…}
)
rakeshtripathy

rakeshtripathy OP

Thank you so much for your quick response and support to fix this, It worked.

version_module.module_changeset(
  struct!(version_module),
  %{…}
)
dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Did you understand why does it work?

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews